Performance reviews /objective setting

Trying to give an objective review of someone's performance is incredibly difficult. These reviews are only really there to give employers more of a leg to stand on if they want to get rid of you easily. Can be completely fudged.

There’s a quite well known high end furniture manufacturer in Newcastle gets the lads on the bench to write down what they’re going to achieve every morning before they start.
1/ Get a ham and pease pudding stottie from the sandwich van.
2/ See number 1.
😁

Is there a bigger piece of shite in the workplace.

Despise it with a passion.. one good thing about contracting is not having to partake in the annual dance. ..

Trying to set mine for the upcoming year with an awkward boss .. meeting at half ten .

Could really do without it

Not necessarily. Govt contracts inside IR35 sometimes insist on it.

Trying to give an objective review of someone's performance is incredibly difficult. These reviews are only really there to give employers more of a leg to stand on if they want to get rid of you easily. Can be completely fudged.
Can be, agreed.
But done properly, they can really help identify training needs, build trust, gain commitment, and reward performance.
Got to be done correctly though, otherwise they are a useless waste of time and have the opposite effect.

Used to have to them with my staff at costa. Costa ffs. Objective….make coffee. Brilliant. Most of my team were students so no long term desire to make coffee forever, which I had absolutely no problem with. It’d take a day, which would put you over your strict staff budget as they only give you enough hours to run a coffee shop. All in the name of maintaining our ‘top 100 companies to work for’ bullshit. It’s coffee and cake, dude. Let us get on with it.

Is there a bigger piece of shite in the workplace.

Despise it with a passion.. one good thing about contracting is not having to partake in the annual dance. ..

Trying to set mine for the upcoming year with an awkward boss .. meeting at half ten .

Could really do without it

What area are you contracting in Mate ?

I don't give a big announcement. I just pull people in one by one, but I do that regularly anyway. Personally my lot always look forward to it because it gives them a bit of a break and, like I said Mowsy lad, I keep it very informal and it's just a friendly conversation.

They might give off that impression but..

I have zero ambition to progress any further up the ladder so I just say I want the team/company to achieve their goals so my goals are to play my part in that.

I don’t need managing, I’m not jockeying for anyone else’s position, if I have any issues I’ll raise them at the time rather than waiting for an annual review and I expect management to do the same for me.

My role is mainly BAU so if the mailbox is kept on top of and people are replied to in a timely and professional manner then it's done . How do you manage that as a percentage . 95% of all queries are replied to within 24 hours?

So that's the metric.. but then how do you apply that metric considering I get 100+ emails a day and only some require responses..

Ball ache
And then look at it and say "What if I was judged and my continued employment all based on replying to 95% of queries?". Well then obviously you make that figure your major driver. Does the email require a response? No, reply anyway. Will this take a long time to do a decent response, possibly throwing your daily stats out? Yes, but it is in your interests to give a half arsed response.

I have a very negative view of targets. In most cases it pulls down quality in order to keep the measurable unit (usually that someone invented for no reason) at the 'right' level.

I have zero ambition to progress any further up the ladder so I just say I want the team/company to achieve their goals so my goals are to play my part in that.

I don’t need managing, I’m not jockeying for anyone else’s position, if I have any issues I’ll raise them at the time rather than waiting for an annual review and I expect management to do the same for me.
That's me.. I'm not going to say I want your job . I'm winding down.

I just put grow into the role and mature the process

They might give off that impression but..
Haha nice try mate but I have a class relationship with the people I work with. Reading this site it seems most people have got some chip on their shoulder about managers and what not which I find a bit sad. Aye there are some shite managers.

I talk to the people I work with like my friends. We have a laugh and a joke but we do the job. Plenty of social stuff goes on and we all do it together. It's class.

We fill out the forms and make our own objectives before the meeting so it's just an hour of relaxed chit chat. Sometimes done in a coffee shop or bar. Don't mind them

My role is mainly BAU so if the mailbox is kept on top of and people are replied to in a timely and professional manner then it's done . How do you manage that as a percentage . 95% of all queries are replied to within 24 hours?

So that's the metric.. but then how do you apply that metric considering I get 100+ emails a day and only some require responses..

Ball ache
But the issue with those metrics is there is no measurement of quality.

You could reply within the timescale but your response may not be adequate.

For an effective measure you need a quality measurement too.

Back