Performance reviews /objective setting

I hate with them with a passion.

But, I think they are more of a tool to manage people who aren’t performing. If you want to get rid of someone you’ve usually got to put them on some sort of performance management and if they then don’t improve you can look to manage them out of the business.

I hate with them with a passion.

But, I think they are more of a tool to manage people who aren’t performing. If you want to get rid of someone you’ve usually got to put them on some sort of performance management and if they then don’t improve you can look to manage them out of the business.
I can see an element of that to be honest.

Don't get me wrong the right manager and company and they can be effective..

In my experience though they are waffle .

I can see an element of that to be honest.

Don't get me wrong the right manager and company and they can be effective..

In my experience though they are waffle .

Had my mid year one yesterday.

Have you reviewed your objectives? haven’t even looked at them to be brutally honest!

Absolutely despise them. And it's one of the reasons I can't see myself ever wanting to go back to a permanent job.

The last ones I ever did my manager wrote them for me and I'd just sign it off. He loved me and knew how much I hated doing them.

When I did them for all of my offices, we would do quarterly informal reviews, tracking progress. If you leave it for the whole year, its too late to change anything, and it becomes "a thing".
I used to take my branch managers to the pub, once every 3 months, individually. Couple of pints, relax, review the business plan, check progress, and truth comes out.
Really useful for both sides, and just became part of the work routine.

Total waste of time for everyone involved.

You can say what you plan to do at the start of the year but events happen and priorities change so by the end of the year what you put in your objectives is meaningless.

It sounds like the OP Is getting "managed out".whatever that means:lol::lol:

You get none of this on the sites,no time for objectives,reviews and all that malarkey,I can tell straight away if they're going to pull their weight or not if they rock up with hands in pockets or a can of monster

I think they are only a thing because of tradition. I don't know anyone who likes them at my place or any place.

In some ways I've found them useful as a prompt for a one to one meeting with people in my team. Especially in June 2020 when you could meet in a very small group but only outdoors. I had not seen anyone for a few months, so took drinks orders for each person, got on my bike, headed to a location near where each of them live, picked up cold beers on the way and sat and had a couple of outside drinks and a general chat.

Every time I do one of these things, it ends up being a general chat and very friendly. Half the conversation is not about work. Then it gets to the end of the session, we remember there is some paperwork, make up any old shit, put it on the forms and that is it for another year. The HR processes change, different form styles come and go, but the conversations don't relate to any of it.

I generally go with how are you, are you relatively content and happy, is there anything you want to change or keep the same (and that applies to how I manage them or the team) and is there any training or different career direction you want.

Someone was talking about them yesterday and made a great comment. "They are a sign of a consumer society. You have to strive for bigger and more, being content with what you have but doing it really well is seen as a bad thing.".

Just had a conversation. SMART..

She says there has to be a percentage for it to be measurable..

I disagreed.. no it has to be .

I said it's either done or it isn't.. that's measurable. Or partially done..

Ok. Have that 100% complete as objective..
Nightmare

As a manager I tried to do it properly, in the manner and spirit within which it is (supposed to be) intended. Often it was a challenge with team members who didn’t want to engage or with employees who were, in fairness, in jobs that rendered the process less useful.

if you are required to ask questions like ‘where do you want to be in two years time’ then maybe it’s a poorly designed process. Or more likely a misapplied process.

Having been involved in the design and trainimg of such things I know how often people in management and/or HR etc are pretty clueless about how to apply performance management and development processes so that they’re actually beneficial.

As a mere employee and team member I’ve experienced the whole gamut; from managing my own performance, carrying my manager along with me, helping them understand the process, to playing the game and cynically writing bollocks just to get through it, knowing it was going to get filed and ignored, to collating evidence in the sure and certain knowledge that I was going to need to challenge my end of year review and that senior management were going to lie and be twats to save on the budget … and I wasn’t going to be the one to ‘take one for the team’.

Nightmare
The objectives at our place have to be very specific, but new interesting developments.

I've been stupidly busy the last couple of years. I was doing the job of 2.5 people for 18 months, have not shaken off all the other duties yet, but are also heavily into recruiting and expanding the team, which zaps so much time.

If I get to the end of the day and feel like I have read all incoming emails and are up to date with the more important Teams chats, then I'm doing well. If over a monthly period I can knock one or two things off my To Do list, then that is amazing.

The objectives at our place have to be very specific, but new interesting developments.

I've been stupidly busy the last couple of years. I was doing the job of 2.5 people for 18 months, have not shaken off all the other duties yet, but are also heavily into recruiting and expanding the team, which zaps so much time.

If I get to the end of the day and feel like I have read all incoming emails and are up to date with the more important Teams chats, then I'm doing well. If over a monthly period I can knock one or two things off my To Do list, then that is amazing.
My role is mainly BAU so if the mailbox is kept on top of and people are replied to in a timely and professional manner then it's done . How do you manage that as a percentage . 95% of all queries are replied to within 24 hours?

So that's the metric.. but then how do you apply that metric considering I get 100+ emails a day and only some require responses..

Ball ache

My role is mainly BAU so if the mailbox is kept on top of and people are replied to in a timely and professional manner then it's done . How do you manage that as a percentage . 95% of all queries are replied to within 24 hours?

So that's the metric.. but then how do you apply that metric considering I get 100+ emails a day and only some require responses..

Ball ache
Log the queries that actually need dealing with and then mark if they've been done on time?

Ball ache
Delete the shit straight away.
Done them.

There’s a quite well known high end furniture manufacturer in Newcastle gets the lads on the bench to write down what they’re going to achieve every morning before they start.

Nightmare

We've moved on from SMART goals. Ours are now FAST. No clue what it means.

Back