Peregrine Falcon

What a wonderful sight.
Watched one today, it had taken a Wood Pigeon and was eating it at the top of an electricity pylon.
A noisy Kestrel perched close on one of the struts shrieking loudly as the feathers were falling through the sky.
Pity I never had binoculars to get a better view but watched it for 5 minutes as walking down the beautiful mid River Thames. The speed that these dive from the sky like a bullet, nature at its best.

I’m pretty sure I had one on my garden fence last week....

More likely a Sparrowhawk.
I had the pleasure of an owl scramble out of some woods and into the path of my car a few weeks back. It reacted almost seamlessly and took flight directly along the road I was driving. It’s wingspan was about 2m and it was completely silent in flight.

One of my favourite birds.
Likely a Tawny?

Last edited:
What a wonderful sight.
Watched one today, it had taken a Wood Pigeon and was eating it at the top of an electricity pylon.
A noisy Kestrel perched close on one of the struts shrieking loudly as the feathers were falling through the sky.
Pity I never had binoculars to get a better view but watched it for 5 minutes as walking down the beautiful mid River Thames. The speed that these dive from the sky like a bullet, nature at its best.

One of this year's Norwich brood met a grizzly end with an aircraft a couple of months back. Been a very successful pair for a few years though now.

There is a ‘falcon cam’ at the university where I am employed.

I only watched it once and the falcons sat there ignoring a big fat pigeon that landed straight in front of them. I expected carnage but it was a bit dull.

We were watching what we think was a kestrel out the back of ours last night. It's out almost daily hunting over the field and allotments. It's a big bastard like - looks bigger than any kestrel I've seen before but given it's behaviour I'm not sure what else it could be.
Barn owl.
We've got one of these comes round now and then anarl. Amazing in flight like - everything else goes quiet.

Last edited:
We were watching what we think was a kestrel out the back of ours last night. It's out almost daily hunting over the field and allotments. It's a big bastard like - looks bigger than any kestrel I've seen before but given it's behaviour I'm not sure what else it could be.

We've got one of these comes round now and then anarl. Amazing in flight like - everything else goes quiet.

What colour was it? Markings?

Get yourself a book mate, I’ve got the Collins one spent hours during lockdown identifying birds. Makes me yearn for lockdown again.

What colour was it? Markings?

Get yourself a book mate, I’ve got the Collins one spent hours during lockdown identifying birds. Makes me yearn for lockdown again.
Was hard to tell in the evening sun. Need some better binoculars really. The closest look I got, it seemed to be golden brown, white underwings with a black trim.

I'd be concerned it might be a buzzard, but buzzards don't hover the way this does.

Had this in the garden last year, chomping on a blackbird. Nee idea what it is
full

Barn owl.

Definitely.

A kestrel will hover as it hunts. If not unlikely to be a Kestrel.

Last edited:

Back