Pep wants League Cp scrapped

It certainly needs some kind of reform to keep relevant because it's so far down the interest level to most people at the moment that it's a joke competition.

The competition that needs the biggest shake-up is the FA Cup. The chances of a lower league or non-league club doing anything in it are becoming increasingly remote. I want there to be every possible opportunity that Man City will have to play an away match at Shepshed Dynamo or some such. Pep will have something to whine abut then.

One possibility for Cups is to make the lower ranked league side the home club in all games (barring the final of course, and perhaps the semis).

To be honest I think I prefer it to the FA Cup. Both are completely devalued and nobody takes either seriously until the Quarter Finals, but at least the League Cup doesn't try to be something it's not. I find the constant hyping of the FA Cup so boring when you have Man United reserves on TV for the 200th time in a row against another crap Premier League team's reserve side and neither have any interest in being there. At least you can ignore the League Cup until the latter stages.

All these managers of the "top teams" whinge like fuck when it comes to this time of the year over the fixture congestion.
It must come as a huge surprise to them that they have to play in all these competitions that they keep qualifying for and beating teams to reach the next stage. :rolleyes:
Ha'way the League Cup. Well done Alan Hardaker.

A couple of home games a season against big clubs can make a lot of financial difference to lower league clubs, even if fans aren't seeing the first team players.
A little cup run creates a lot of interest as we've seen ourselves.
There's more to football in this country than Man City, Liverpool and the others.
Guardiola comes and takes the cream from a historical sporting competition which he has done nothing to create, then complains that the system should be changed so that the likes of his club have even more chance of winning (or making money, which is more to the point).

Pep is half right - he just chose the wrong competition.
The Champions League should be scrapped as it's plutocratic, a misnomer, tedious and causes major fixture congestion for Pep and co.

Latest installment of 'Pep Suggests'.

Scrapping of FA Cup replays.

"What is nice about this country is how you maintain the traditions. In traditions you can involve some new things to make the competitions nicer, but all the traditions are there, not just in sport but in culture and society and that is top. I admire that.

"I'm not saying what the FA has to do. When I said my comment I never expected the Carabao Cup or FA Cup was going to go.

"I tried to be honest and answer the question but I don't think about what they have to do, it's not my business. My business is to prepare my team better every day.

"When they decide to play these games, and the other games, we do it."

Pep Guardiola: Manchester City boss suggests scrapping of FA Cup replays

As others have intimated: I suggest if he doesn't like it to f off.

Latest installment of 'Pep Suggests'.

Scrapping of FA Cup replays.

"What is nice about this country is how you maintain the traditions. In traditions you can involve some new things to make the competitions nicer, but all the traditions are there, not just in sport but in culture and society and that is top. I admire that.

"I'm not saying what the FA has to do. When I said my comment I never expected the Carabao Cup or FA Cup was going to go.

"I tried to be honest and answer the question but I don't think about what they have to do, it's not my business. My business is to prepare my team better every day.

"When they decide to play these games, and the other games, we do it."

Pep Guardiola: Manchester City boss suggests scrapping of FA Cup replays

As others have intimated: I suggest if he doesn't like it to f off.

He likes a whinge does Pep. Ironically, I think they'll win both domestic cups and, quitr possibly, the Champions' League this season. In the league this time around, they've a) become a bit complacent and taken their eye off the ball (figuratively) b) not replaced Kompany.

Said it many times they need a trophy that gives sides outside the top 3/4 a chance to win something otherwise football is becoming majorly boring for most sides outside of the CL Elite.

If he wants it scrapping kill 2 birds with 1 stone- make the league cup where the previous seasons top 4 PL sides are not included in it - gives the CL clubs less fixtures whilst giving everyone else the chance of winning something instead of the usual City and Chelsea.

But who wants to win a cup that the big clubs haven't been involved in?

It would be like winning the Championship, the prize is promotion and no one really gives a fuck who came first or second.
FoReigNERS coming over here taking our jobs and wanting our league cup scrapped.

They can de facto opt out by playing severely weakened teams. Just do that rather than whinge about it.

Last edited:
But who wants to win a cup that the big clubs haven't been involved in?

It would be like winning the Championship, the prize is promotion and no one really gives a fuck who came first or second.

They can de facto opt out by playing severely weakened teams. Just do that rather than whinge about it.

I couldn't give a fuck if Everton won a trophy just because Man City or Liverpool were not in it.

As an example- next seasons League Cup would still have currently Spurs, Man Utd & Arsenal all in the competition + the likes of Everton, Wolves etc. It would give more clubs the chance to win something whilst keeping those in the CL happy with less fixtures.

I would rather that than when they inevitably scrap it leaving fans of clubs like ourselves fuck all chance to win anything as we aint winning the Prem anytime soon.

Back