Pep wants League Cp scrapped

I’ve said for years - barring the time we actually got to the final of it - that it’s a stupid and pointless trophy and should be scrapped. My own hypocrisy notwithstanding, I’m with Pep on this.

I've never understood why you HAVE TO enter competitions, and HAVE TO play your best team.
It’s a double edged sword. With the exception of the obvious clubs, having a tournament where clubs play weak teams completely undermines the credibility of the competition and also provides no strong incentive for people to actually go and watch the games (loss of revenue). Therefore it’s not in the interests of the organisers or 90% of the clubs competing in it.

It certainly needs some kind of reform to keep relevant because it's so far down the interest level to most people at the moment that it's a joke competition.

The competition that needs the biggest shake-up is the FA Cup. The chances of a lower league or non-league club doing anything in it are becoming increasingly remote. I want there to be every possible opportunity that Man City will have to play an away match at Shepshed Dynamo or some such. Pep will have something to whine abut then.

Top 2 in the Premier League qualify for the Champions League along with the winners of the League and FA Cups.

3rd and 4th get Europa League places. That’s the way I’d do it.

Probably why I’m not head of the FA tbf

Love it how these clubs come out with this shit then when theyre back down the pecking order these tinpot cups mean the world to them.

see Man utd.

Completely disagree. It's one of the very few chances that clubs have to win a major honour.

Him suggesting that the competition is binned off is basically because his team plays too many Champions League games. A problem that the overwhelming majority of clubs don't have.

He can piss off.

The CL teams can be excluded without devaluing the competition much (they field their kids as it is), taking more than that out and I'd fear it's death knell.

Completely disagree. It's one of the very few chances that clubs have to win a major honour.

Him suggesting that the competition is binned off is basically because his team plays too many Champions League games. A problem that the overwhelming majority of clubs don't have.

He can piss off.

This. I really feel for them with the squad of 60 odd pros or whatever they have. Two seasons running their season has either fallen apart or fell apart at one point due to a short term injury to Fernandinho and then this season to Laporte, despite spending god know how much on having an unbelievable level of depth in those areas.

It must be devastating for them to have to compete in the league cup with such a small depleted squad. The one competition many clubs have a chance to win and people actually want it scrapped. Nevermind Pep will likely piss off soon to somewhere they don't have a second domestic cup competition.

Last edited:
All teams that qualify for Europe, can’t enter the League cup.
Gotta be better than binning the whole thing off.

How about just the teams that win their respective leagues as they are the “champions” enter the Champions League.
How about that Pep?
Another revenue stream that would damage the lower Football pyramid if enforced. He can fuck right off and loan out Phil Foden to Oldham.

Back