Pep wants League Cp scrapped

Pep Guardiola wants League Cup to be scrapped to ease fixture congestion

Thoughts? I personally agree - and it would give the FA Cup a bit more focus and priority for teams.

No need to scrap it, but just allow clubs a bit more discretion re the strength of the teams they pick & how seriously they take it. Good opportunity to give younger players a run out/and or get fitness levels up for squad players/players returning from injury. Could even give managers the night off & let the assistants take charge if they want to. A lot of the bigger clubs don't play their strongest teams in the earlier stages anyway.

How about these clubs do a pre season in Sweden or Scotland like they used to
I’m sure going to China the USA and other parts of Asia isn’t really good for these players
Or play a youth team in the cup like Liverpool did

He’s talking crap. The reason that there are too many games is because of the Champions League. So make that a knockout competition then? Also reduce the number of international matches? No chance, I know.
However, I would scrap replays and two-legged semis in the League Cup.

He can and should just play more squad players. If at this stage of the season he's still in the running for 4 things, prioritise.

We shouldn't change the structure of our countries football competitions just because teams struggle if they try to win 4 things with their first team. How often is that relevant?

stop any side in Eureope fro entering it

hey presto, you'll have trophy far more sides can win, a route to europe for far more sides

and many many many less moaning foreign managers

If he's arsed about it, thn why doesn't he play his kids and get knocked out early doors. Vast majority of English clubs will want to play in this tournament.

I really don't understand why its a thing. They're both cups, they have - beyond FA Cup round 3 - the same teams in it (99%). Its a bit daft.
I guess back in the day, the extra games were needed for gate reciepts, but those days have largely gone - and having one, slightly bigger cup with more prestige would quite possibly increase revenues whilst reducing the number of games in the top tier.
Noooooooooo.
LC started iirc in 1961 just a few years after Eng clubs started playing in European competitions. Eng clubs hadn’t played two leg KO football before so needed experience of it. So the FL saw a chance to get one over on the FA and boost their own profile and bank balance at the same time.
Yer Jonny forriner domestic KO cups were 2legs back then and a lot still are.
Since then the LC has been weakened and watered down regularly.

Noooooooooo.
LC started iirc in 1961 just a few years after Eng clubs started playing in European competitions. Eng clubs hadn’t played two leg KO football before so needed experience of it. So the FL saw a chance to get one over on the FA and boost their own profile and bank balance at the same time.
Yer Jonny forriner domestic KO cups were 2legs back then and a lot still are.
Since then the LC has been weakened and watered down regularly.
That's really interesting reading.
I bet the extra gate reciepts were certainly "in the plus column" too though.

IIRC, the Anglo Italian cup was for that reason, as was another cup that I don't remember the name of and does exist anymore
Maybe I'm thinking of the Zenith Data Cup?

Whats up with the f***ing soft shite? he can play weakened teams in the league from now until May and concentrate on the cups
That's the other thing, are they allowed to play weakened teams? If so, then its perfect for his backup players to get some game time.

Back