People with ivy all over their houses

My neighbour has it growing on my garage wall which is facing her garden. I go up and cut it back now and again but the wall is never dry and grows in between the felt and into the garage.

Why anyone would want it is beyond me. Looks shit.

Why even have that stuff on your house?
Probably full of mice as well.
You could have structural damage for years and you wouldn't even know it
Dinnar mate. It was a wall that wasn't attached to the house, it ran along the garden. It was a while ago now like, probably just something they did at the time.

What's the deal there? Like living in a bush.
Any benefit other than looking like your house is in camouflage?
I'd imagine their houses get full of insects whenever they open the windows. Seems like extra work as well, having to trim the front of your house so you don't get your windows covered in a plant. I think it looks ridiculous.

It makes a good place for nesting seagulls to hide, where they can swoop down and nick people's Gregg's pasties and possible the odd scratter child. ;)

Semi detached neighbour started growing it up the back of their house and it was spreading on to my house. I hacked it back and I might have accidentally killed it :oops:

I've got it on the rear perimeter. I was originally on an adjacent property and spread through.

I know ivy is supposed to be good for nesting birds, but if it's left unchecked, it mother's and kills any other plant it attaches itself to.

If it gets onto a building its roots can eventually work their way into the masonry requiring the ivy to be removed so repainting can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know ivy is supposed to be good for nesting birds, but if it's left unchecked, it mother's and kills any other plant it attaches itself to.

If it gets onto a building its roots can eventually work their way into the masonry requiring the ivy to be removed so repainting can be done.

It was growing over onto my house high up and growing over a bedroom window. Just got sick of having to get the ladders out to keep it off the window.

Got some on my garden wall, I wouldn’t have it on my house though.

Once a bloke I worked with was telling me about the battle he was having with his ISP. He had no connection for about 3 weeks and both ISP and BT were denying it was their problem. He had been Mr Angry on the phone but got nowhere. Now he was going on social media and writing to industry watchdogs & newspapers etc on a crusade for internet consumers' rights. Then it was like a lightbulb went on above his heed and he said "err, do you think it might have summat to do with the fact that I cut back all the ivy on the front of the house about three weeks ago?". It turned out the daft twat had indeed sliced through his phone line.

Back