People with ivy all over their houses

What A Waster

Striker
Lost Magpie
What's the deal there? Like living in a bush.
Any benefit other than looking like your house is in camouflage?
I'd imagine their houses get full of insects whenever they open the windows. Seems like extra work as well, having to trim the front of your house so you don't get your windows covered in a plant. I think it looks ridiculous.

I think you’ve summed it up perfectly.

Was fashionable once, not so much now.

Renderers must be making a fortune in Herrington, everybody is getting new rendering at the moment.

Reason I say that is the nice, big house set back just after the Board Inn, was covered in ivy and looked dark and dingy but the new owners have stripped it back and redone it all. Looks lovely now.

Remember me Granda wrestling a load of ivy off a wall outside his house only to find a wasp nest in it. The bloke could shift when he needed to like.

Why even have that stuff on your house?
Probably full of mice as well.
You could have structural damage for years and you wouldn't even know it

I like the houses which have one end or corner of the house with ivy, thinks it can give a little character. Ones totally covered, aye look like a big square bush with windows.

Can get out of control very quickly though. Constant maintenance

Last edited:
Why even have that stuff on your house?
Probably full of mice as well.
You could have structural damage for years and you wouldn't even know it

Can get out of control very quickly though. Constant maintenance
Aye, when reading up on it, it said it was an ongoing job, many do's and don't, not worth the hassle unless you have the time or a groundsman at these places you see the buildings covered in the stuff.

I'd imagine their houses get full of insects whenever they open the windows. Seems like extra work as well, having to trim the front of your house so you don't get your windows covered in a plant. I think it looks ridiculous.
Logon or register to see this image

Nowt wrong with trimming your bush these days. No problem with insects but crabs are to be avoided.

Back