People who photograph gigs/games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter Ego

Striker
Something I've always wondered but never really fancied doing myself - How do you go about getting a pass to go shoot these things?

There's one on here, I think he's 'mates' with some tubby dj though

Something I've always wondered but never really fancied doing myself - How do you go about getting a pass to go shoot these things?
You'll probably want to find some smaller gigs first where the promoters will be looking for as much publicity as possible and give them out like toffee. Other than that you can apply to shoot for some newspapers and local magazines etc.

I get passes for bigger gigs from the promoter. Small gigs i check if i need a pass. A lot of smaller venues dont mind cameras so long as you dont hog the stage and piss people off :)

you might try asking the band directly. Get on their website and contact either them or their manager

Do a few reviews for an online music site who covers the type of music you like.
Find out who is doing the PR for a tour you want to cover or try the bands record label or the bands own website. Say that you want to review their show for XYZ website and include a couple of links to reviews you have already done. Once you start getting a few photo passes it gets easier getting ones for bigger bands.

I started off reviewing albums for a music website. I then asked to do a couple of gig reviews for bands on labels I`d done a few reviews for and after a couple of those I started getting photo passes and it snow balled from there. Email them and just ask you`ll be surprised how many say yes.

I progressed from doing stuff for a music website to a couple of magazines and newspapers on a freelance basis. I just reviewed the shows and sent them in with a few photos. Getting an accreditation with a print publication gets you a bit more leverage and more chance of passes.

I started off small and just kept asking and I ended up taking photos of some of my favourite bands who were great to photograph like KISS, Alice Cooper, Rammstein and Rush. Here`s a link to some I`ve done: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mickb2112

Like I said, I just asked and was amazed how many said yes.

Reactions: mux
Do a few reviews for an online music site who covers the type of music you like.
Find out who is doing the PR for a tour you want to cover or try the bands record label or the bands own website. Say that you want to review their show for XYZ website and include a couple of links to reviews you have already done. Once you start getting a few photo passes it gets easier getting ones for bigger bands.

I started off reviewing albums for a music website. I then asked to do a couple of gig reviews for bands on labels I`d done a few reviews for and after a couple of those I started getting photo passes and it snow balled from there. Email them and just ask you`ll be surprised how many say yes.

I progressed from doing stuff for a music website to a couple of magazines and newspapers on a freelance basis. I just reviewed the shows and sent them in with a few photos. Getting an accreditation with a print publication gets you a bit more leverage and more chance of passes.

I started off small and just kept asking and I ended up taking photos of some of my favourite bands who were great to photograph like KISS, Alice Cooper, Rammstein and Rush. Here`s a link to some I`ve done: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mickb2112

Like I said, I just asked and was amazed how many said yes.
Some crackers on there mind.
Just out of curiosity, what lens would you/do you use for this? I would take it that you cant use flash, so does it need to be a fast lens, zoom or prime?

most gigs wont let you use flash.. anyway flash looks rubbish. I use a 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8. The big venues have decent lights anyway :)

Some crackers on there mind.
Just out of curiosity, what lens would you/do you use for this? I would take it that you cant use flash, so does it need to be a fast lens, zoom or prime?
Cheers
You aren`t allowed to use flash. The golden rule is Three songs No flash although, Alice Cooper DID allow flash but really flash ruins the atmosphere of a shot and the American band Queensryche allowed me to shoot the whole show from anywhere in the City Hall from the stalls and the balcony while Funkadelic invited me up onto the stage to shoot some photos from the side and share some cheesecake with the band !!! What a great night that was !!

I`ve just upgraded my camera to a full frame so the only lenses I have now are a Prime 50mm 1.8 and a 24-70 2.8.

I`m trying to decide whether a wide angle lens or a 200mm zoom should be my next purchase.

i use a 70 -200 for head shots of women singers.. much more flattering i think than going in too close with a wider lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back