People who make their cars sound gid loud

I'd put a decibel test into the MOT if I had such power. There is no need for making a small 1.2L family car sound like a Harrier. I used to live near some chav scum who would be driving back and forwards into the early hours of the morning waking every poor sod in the area up.

Is there not already one? I know there definately is in the SVA test for kitcars and imports.

An extra 1bhp usually.

Unlikely there is any BHP increase with just a catback system , if there is then it will be 5 or less BHP. Most of the restrictions in an exhaust system are in the catalysts , and the size of the tubing from the manifold out , so a less restrictive manifold , combined with sports catalysts or a decat (illegal iirc) combined with the catback system will give the biggest gains. Its expensive though , especially when you add the cost of a remap to make the most of the better breathing , and you should really add a cold air intake system too for best results.

Last edited:
After doing some research, there is a limit:
Cars and noise

However this is not tested on the MOT:
MOT Test Exhaust System

A car can fail if the tester deems it too loud but reading a few sites, nobody ever fails. I suppose because it is not a measured test, if you have a choice between a garage who will ignore it and a garage who will, then you will take it to the garage that will see you through your MOT. It is in the business interests of a MOT test centre to pass a noisy exhaust.

My cars pretty loud after 6k revs. So at the moment I wouldn't get an aftermarket exhaust fitted but if I did I wouldn't really care what any one thinks if I liked it

Thing I don’t get now is why car manufacturers modify their exhausts/set the engine to dump droplets of fuel into the exhaust to make them sound like they’re farting every time you change gear.

Because most of the people who would buy a golf r want that

Last edited:
My cars pretty loud after 6k revs. So at the moment I wouldn't get an aftermarket exhaust fitted but if I did I wouldn't really care what any one thinks if I liked it

Because most of the people who would buy a golf r want that

Aye but any 4-cyl engine sounds shit, especially with a farting exhaust.

It depends, if they just change the back box then it's all noise and absolutely nothing else, if they change the full system for a much better one and have other modifications and remapped to suit then it can add a extra horsepower. Why you'd want spend that much to add extra horsepower rather than buying something else is another matter.

bikes are a bit different, if I was riding one I'd feel safer knowing drivers around me could hear me and knew I was around.
Lots of new electric motorbikes are pretty quiet. The designers at Harley Davidson have decided to try to retain their core followers with something that sounds like a jet engine!

Back