People who don’t say thank you when you hold a door for them...

And we all tut loudly, mutter something under our breath or say thank you in a loud, sarcastic tone.

They’ve now been overtaken by ignorant twats who make zero effort to give some distance when you’re out on your daily exercise or at the supermarket. I don’t expect them to measure an exact 2 metres but at least make a little effort.

My course of action currently us to shake my head and mutter “what an ignorant arsehole” under my breath. My have to raise my game.

What’s your approach?

If people get to close I lick their face.

Last edited:
And we all tut loudly, mutter something under our breath or say thank you in a loud, sarcastic tone.

They’ve now been overtaken by ignorant twats who make zero effort to give some distance when you’re out on your daily exercise or at the supermarket. I don’t expect them to measure an exact 2 metres but at least make a little effort.

My course of action currently us to shake my head and mutter “what an ignorant arsehole” under my breath. My have to raise my game.

What’s your approach?

Happened to me today. Some knob jockey walking his dog and I was approaching from the other direction. I made a move to the left with the not unreasonable expectation he would also move to his left to jointly maintain a gap. He is obviously more important than everyone else. Sorry, I mean ignorant.

Happened to me today. Some knob jockey walking his dog and I was approaching from the other direction. I made a move to the left with the not unreasonable expectation he would also move to his left to jointly maintain a gap. He is obviously more important than everyone else. Sorry, I mean ignorant.
It’s as if there’s been nothing in the news, in the press or on social media about it. It’s as if it’s some social experiment and I’m the only one taking part. 😂

And you as well of course.

It’s ok. I agree with your point, in Sweden they don’t even have manners at all. Took some adjusting to.

Then you go to America and you just want the politeness and positivity to stop.

A happy medium here I think.
We had a couple of my son's mates from when he was at Uni in the States stay for a few days a couple of years ago.
One was a Swede one American.
The Swedish lad was calling me sir and standing up when me or our lass walked into a room where as the American was sprawling all over the settee.
Both really nice lads but a different attitude to being well mannered and polite.

We have a bizarre obsession in this country with 'please' and 'thankyou'. It's not really about courtesy it's more about receiving recognition about how courteous you are. People's frustration on not receiving recognition for opening a door or 'giving way' is something a lot of other cultures find baffling about ours. I find a lot of our 'manners' quite aggressive in a 'oi! Look how polite I'm being!' way.

True, but this is our country and we'll have whatever social conventions we like. Sorry about that (<<<< see what I did there? ;) )
Pretty much everywhere bar America. In a lot of places esp Eastern Europe they don't bother opening doors or giving way and nobody is arsed.

The reason we Brits are so polite is that we once possessed a very extensive empire. To achieve this we did a lot of conquering and oppressing. After conquering and oppressing countless foreigners, we felt it was incumbent upon us to be very polite to them to show them we weren't just a load of greedy imperialistic bastards. So we started being extremely polite, and, to be honest, overdid it a bit. Imagine actually apologising for somebody stupidly bumping into you!

Last edited:

What’s your approach?
My latest is "thank you for letting me open the door for you, I'm very honoured. There's really no need to thank me, the pleasure was mine".

The worst ones for not helping with social distancing tend to be couples who regard it as their divine right to walk side by side. Them and people who walk about randomly when they're talking on their phones.

The worst ones for not helping with social distancing tend to be couples who regard it as their divine right to walk side by side. Them and people who walk about randomly when they're talking on their phones.
Aye, I always tell my daughter, single file and she knows what she has to do.

I’m not a complete fanny about it but it’s as if people have just been in a bubble for the past few months.

We live in the worst hit region of the worst hit country in Europe and one of the worst hit countries in the world only second to the Yanks. It’s quite alarming when it’s put like that.

I got told off for holding a door open for somebody at work, because of social distancing I presume. So next time i’ll Just let it slam in someone’s face, and no doubt get wrong for that. Can’t do right for doing wrong.

I went into Iceland this week. We had to queue 2m apart to get in. The couple in front of me stopped in the first aisle and started arguing about what to buy. I stood there for a few seconds waiting for them to move on because it wasn't possible to get past with 0.5m clear let alone 2m. I could have said "excuse me" but instead I muttered "f***ing arseholes" which seemed to do the trick as they moved to one side.

Back