People lost to conspiracy theories

hairynaker

Winger
Interesting show on LBC radio right now discussing this and how so people are getting lost down the rabbit hole.

Bame women just been on saying that her husband thinks covid is a hoax and refuses to wear a facemask on public transport (I thought you had to?). Some strange folk about.

Interesting show on LBC radio right now discussing this and how so people are getting lost down the rabbit hole.

Bame women just been on saying that her husband thinks covid is a hoax and refuses to wear a facemask on public transport (I thought you had to?). Some strange folk about.
Lots of people think it’s a hoax tbf. And many more think we’re being played for mugs.

I overheard the woman next door to me telling one of the neighbours that it was all a load of rubbish, they're just putting every death down to Covid. Her evidence was that she knew someone in Scotland who she had been speaking to, who knew someone who had died (nothing to do with Covid), and her Scottish friend had said 'they will probably put it down to Covid'.

It's difficult to know which evidence should carry more weight - the 60,000 plus excess deaths or her friend in Scotland saying something might happen.

The problem is not just conspiracy theories as such though - people can just find validation for any ridiculous opinion based on a few nutcases on the internet, so they can crack on with their world view, even when all of the evidence is against it.

It's why we are where we are.

I think some people have too much time on their hands and seek solice in youtube, believing absolutely anything they come across (mainly short snippets of conversation/talks), whilst dismissing anything in mainstream media.

I think some people have too much time on their hands and seek solice in youtube, believing absolutely anything they come across (mainly short snippets of conversation/talks), whilst dismissing anything in mainstream media.
people want to 'feel clever'....think they know something only a few people do.
that gets combined with a desperation for simplistic answers in a random world which can be scary.

On top of all that the internet makes 'knowledge' available so it becomes a habit for people. In the 70s people weren't running to the library every five minutes to look things up.
I reckon it could take decades before it settles down.

Lack of attention to detail, people only glance at headlines without reading the whole article.
Disbelieve experts with PhD,s but hang on every word of someone on Facebook who studied at the University of Life.

I overheard the woman next door to me telling one of the neighbours that it was all a load of rubbish, they're just putting every death down to Covid. Her evidence was that she knew someone in Scotland who she had been speaking to, who knew someone who had died (nothing to do with Covid), and her Scottish friend had said 'they will probably put it down to Covid'.

It's difficult to know which evidence should carry more weight - the 60,000 plus excess deaths or her friend in Scotland saying something might happen.

The problem is not just conspiracy theories as such though - people can just find validation for any ridiculous opinion based on a few nutcases on the internet, so they can crack on with their world view, even when all of the evidence is against it.

It's why we are where we are.
However this one is true. The only question is how much it’s inflated the figures by.

People should have the right to question something they don't accept as being a whole truth.
We all know we get lied to and we all know we get spun a lot of misinfo.
If people want to go about believing anything and everything then I have no problem with that. Just don't get all worked up when others do not follow that same path, because those who accept stuff as a truth, generally do so on face value.

Last edited:
Me mam's terrible for it. Can't trust anything from mainstream media, yet the shouty bloke who had his videos deleted off YouTube is a more than credible source.

There's every possibility there is truth to some of it but she's got an awful habit of finding something that confirms what she thinks and ignoring everything else. Can't have any questioning or counter argument about it because the basis for any other view is propaganda or lies, regardless of where it came from.

Keep an open mind. As long as you think the same thing I think.

And I heard someone say the world was flat the other day :oops:
Are you calling me a liar then?
The lines may be blurred enough so you can squint and believe either side, but it is an irrefutable fact that that many people with terminal diseases have had their demise accelerated by covid, but no one can say how long they may have lasted without it. I certainly know of one person who died from motor neurone disease and they put covid on the death certificate without even testing for it.

Last edited:

Back