Pensions

jedi_toaster

Striker
I am 41 and don’t have anything invested in a pension. Nothing. I have no intention of starting one either as I’m probably past the point in life where I can accumulate anything resembling a decent pension without putting away a really significant percentage of my income every month.

Sometimes, in the wee small hours of the morning, this starts to scare me a bit. Not much, but enough to keep me awake for 5 minutes, then I doze off again cos I’m a f***ing champ at sleeping.

Basically I’m posting this in the hope that there’s loads of people out there in exactly the same boat as me, with no clue as to how they’re ever going to retire. Please let it be known on this thread so I can sleep a bit better knowing I’m not alone..... :-(

Good luck living on the state pension (which will probably be abolished by the time you get to 67)

You’ll work right up until you shuffle off this mortal coil!

All the best marra

Good luck living on the state pension (which will probably be abolished by the time you get to 67)

You’ll work right up until you shuffle off this mortal coil!

All the best marra
Yeah.

I have a plan anyway. I’m gonna flog the house, travel the world with the proceeds and when I’m down to the last £1k I’m gonna spend it on heroin and bash it all in one go. The problem I have is convincing the missus that this is a viable and sensible plan.

Claim Pension credit, sell your house and rent somewhere to see your days out, plenty of food banks available too, you'll be ok.

In the same boat as the op and am i fuck working til i die. 65 maximum then if needs be ill just live on nowt. Rather be a scruffy old twat than be slaving away at work in my 70's.

In the same boat as the op and am i fuck working til i die. 65 maximum then if needs be ill just live on nowt. Rather be a scruffy old twat than be slaving away at work in my 70's.
I don’t really mind working till I die, as I absolutely love my job (it’s unfair to class in as a job tbf), I’m just not sure how many people are gonna want tattooing off a shaky old bastard.

These days, given that you can draw down on your pension from age 55 and take a quarter of it as a lump sum then too, and the tax breaks on pension contributions, it's probably the best way of saving some cash together even on a medium term horizon for someone in their 40s.

In fact, for me, it's the only thing I do that can be considered good financial planning. I do benefit from a generous company contribution mind, but even the bare minimum legal requirement now is worth doing.

why wouldn't you start one now? if you put a grand away a year, they should match it. thats 40 grand if you work til 61.
Why don’t you stop eating avacado toast and drinking Starbucks? Then you can buy a house.

I’ve never really grown up mate. It’s my money and I want to spend it. ;)

Mine comes out of my wage automatically to some private company, not a clue what's going on.

All shite anyway, be long dead before I can get it.

Just started my 1st pension at 44. I put 5% in and my employer matches it. Hoying it all in high risk. Fuck knars if it'll be worth owt like.

Back