Pension scheme via salary sacrifice?

This doesn’t make any sense.

Anything he pays in through a salary sacrifice scheme will be taken pre-tax. No tax and no NI.

If he pays it after then for every £5 he puts in he’s effectively paid tax and NI on it unnecessarily. How does he get more money in the pot by paying tax and NI on that?!
It does make sense but I may not have presented it very well, also to be fair I had not included the NI which you have. It depends what they can afford and if my assumption they are a 20% tax payer was correct.

I suspect his employee is doing some jiggery pokery for their benefit and for the employee it’s nearly fuck all either way.

When retirement through age or health happens a pension pot which isn't final salary is evaluated into an annuity for either lifetime or fixed term. Say a 20 year fixed term annuity may payout a third more than a lifetime annuity before the fund is exhausted. So at 66 to 86 your covered. The lifetime annuity catches up and overtakes it when your 93 so after that you lose out if you've taken the fixed term. So salary sacrifice is the key for building up your capital to exercise your options at retirement. The last important decision you have to make is wondering what your life expectancy is and probably also your spouse. My financial judgement and mobility could well have deteriorated by the time I reach 94 mind.

Back