Pennywell

I lived in Pickering Road but spent a canny bit of time round Plazy Square as a young in as family lived there, knew most of the daft lads then, Dillons, Lawtons, Dobbs, Ellis, Comber.

I was just a young un but memories of someone shitting in newspaper, putting it on somebodies front step, setting it on fire, nocking on the door and doing a runner. Class times and everyone stuck together and had your back.
Jimmy Gas Cannister Head
not forgetting the Bulmers, class lads

Saw Deano at the play off final in May. First time in years.

Gary was my best mate. Slightly older than me but later in life we were always together. He was massive and had a heart attack. Drink and drugs didn’t help like.
Still miss him terribly.
Sorry mate. We were just taking about him the other day, he was mates with my brother in law too David Oliver, Olly.
Thought he lived ower the road from where the fire was.

Ducky Minto still gannin? I can remember Miley too. Always doing errands for people.
Aye I remember Ducky :) he was a brave lad really. Yes maybe the fire was opposite hence my confusion.

Last edited:
Recall in the early 90s

“brick the squaddie incident”

Car twoc was massive at the time and a lot of local lads got jail for nearly killing a copper when brick was thrown through squad car window whilst police were chasing a stolen car.

I also recall a documentary made about Pennywell around 97/98,which Wasn’t the best of viewing and made the local youth look bad.
Aye one of the lads who got done was in my class all the way through school.
Saw Deano at the play off final in May. First time in years.
Marie lives next door to my ex and my daughter.

Last edited:
Lived in Ford, family in Pennywell, went to Pennywell Comp from 74 to 79 great times. Christmas party at the Commrades, The Eagle and Pennywell Inn were ruskyvif unknown. Plawsworth Sq had their own fire brigade at one point 😁

Just remembered jumping the roofs at the back of the shops, you knew you had made it in life when you could jump the fruiters. Trevor Hatton (RIP) was about about 2ft short with a 15 ft drop if you didn't make it.

I lost count of the number of people who boke a bone trying to jump the roofs. I was too chicken to jump them.

Things have changed massively. Once upon a time there were scary estates, but now all the feral kids are inside on their phones. I deliver food and there’s not a single estate I feel uncomfortable getting out the car in.

It appears the social / housing policy was and is to relocate the scum into better areas in the hope that the better families bring them "up". I dont think this works and they just bring those areas down. From what ive heard that is what happened in pennywell. I suppose the thinking is they dont want ghettos to develop but why should decent families have to contend with these shitheads? They should be all put in one estate and left to rot. If any of them are decent, are good neighbours and keep their house nice they should be moved into a nicer estate. Similarly if any in a good estate start acting up they should be relegated to living among the vermin.

This thread is class, never heard of this brick the squaddie incident before.

Shows what the area was like and why it has the reputation it has but it's actually canny nowadays.

I've had people look at me like shit when I tell them I'm from Pennywell and even had a fight in college due to a lad thinking he was better than me as he was from Whitburn. He got out receipt for a £300 laptop and said "I bet you've never seen those kind of numbers on a receipt before, Pennywell". I punched him in the face and threw his wallet out of the window.

PTS 4 LIFE!

Things have changed massively. Once upon a time there were scary estates, but now all the feral kids are inside on their phones. I deliver food and there’s not a single estate I feel uncomfortable getting out the car in.
Aye I think you’re right pal.
Greasy jimmy.
Sammy Cooper
Just remembered jumping the roofs at the back of the shops, you knew you had made it in life when you could jump the fruiters. Trevor Hatton (RIP) was about about 2ft short with a 15 ft drop if you didn't make it.
John boy topping had a nasty fall. Iirc
Just remembered I was the victim of CRIME in Pennywell. Left me A-Team trike outside me da's shop when I was 5 and some twat nicked it.
What shop?

Last edited:
Can anyone remember the bike track down south hylton just on the other side of the line to the football pitches?
Havent been there for years but is that called pennywell woods or something now?Used to be a mud/dirt track from the bus stop near the echo offices down to south hylton footie fields then through the tunnel?

Back