Pennywell

Paul isn't, I didn't know Guy wasn't.

No :( Ian is still going strong though.
Paul alive and Ian alive and Chubby alive.
Dean
Gary (guy)
Margaret
Sean (Paul’s son)
Stu (Margaret’s son) all passed. RIP
Jason Dobbs dead as well mate. Not sure if you knew him.

Last edited:
Paul alive and Ian alive and Chubby alive.
Dean
Gary (guy)
Margaret
Sean (Paul’s son)
Stu (Margaret’s son) all passed. RIP
My mistake. :( Gary was a canny lad really, we'd spend hours playing on that field behind his house. My mam still often sees Ian and Netty around and stops for a chat.

Last edited:
Still some black bits like Portslade where the part-time jockeys are.
The top end Hylton Road squares hacky; beside the industrial estate. Penistone and that. :p

A mate from a few years above at school was murdered there.
I remember a family called Barella they were the hardest in Pennywell

I remember a family called Barella they were the hardest in Pennywell
Preston was the hardest.
I just spoke to my sis about this,she seems to remember only the babysitter got out of the house?
Wasn't that the weird bloke who always wore a neck brave and got done for molesting his daughters? Or maybe I'm getting mixed up.
Born an bred in the place
Proud to say that
Yes and the majority of people were and are fantastic.

Last edited:
My mistake. :( Gary was a canny lad really, we'd spend hours playing on that field behind his house. My mam still often sees Ian and Netty around and stops for a chat.
Gary was my best mate. Slightly older than me but later in life we were always together. He was massive and had a heart attack. Drink and drugs didn’t help like.
Still miss him terribly.

I lived in Pickering Road but spent a canny bit of time round Plazy Square as a young in as family lived there, knew most of the daft lads then, Dillons, Lawtons, Dobbs, Ellis, Comber.

I was just a young un but memories of someone shitting in newspaper, putting it on somebodies front step, setting it on fire, nocking on the door and doing a runner. Class times and everyone stuck together and had your back.
Jimmy Gas Cannister Head
not forgetting the Bulmers, class lads

Last edited:
Recall in the early 90s

“brick the squaddie incident”

Car twoc was massive at the time and a lot of local lads got jail for nearly killing a copper when brick was thrown through squad car window whilst police were chasing a stolen car.

I also recall a documentary made about Pennywell around 97/98,which Wasn’t the best of viewing and made the local youth look bad.

No. Babysitter was their cousin and she died too. They're all buried together in Bishopwearmouth cemetery. Only mum and dad got out iirc.
Right,my sis seemed to think it was the babysitter who escaped,lot of time has passed since then.
Thought he lived ower the road from where the fire was.

Ducky Minto still gannin? I can remember Miley too. Always doing errands for people.
Ducky Minto was who my sis thought was the babysitter,he is still alive,sadly his wife Sharon passed away a number of years ago,he was always a funny guy.

Back