Peanut Allergy Treatment

Aituk7

Striker
Peanut allergy treatment 'in sight'

An effective treatment for many could be around the corner.

"Peanut allergy can be beaten with a treatment that slowly builds up tolerance, a large study shows.

None of nearly 500 four- to 17-year-olds from the US and Europe could tolerate even a 10th of a peanut dose.

But after taking tiny daily doses for a year, two-thirds could tolerate at least two whole peanuts."

Haway the scientists :cool::cool::cool:

I'm convinced a lot of these allergies are down to chemicals used in the production of modern foodstuffs. Pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones, steroids etc. There just seems to have been an explosion in gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, nut allergies in the past 20 years or so which I wasn't aware of growing up.

Not exactly new science that tbf
A variation on homeopathy.

Just to clarify for those thinking they took a small amount of peanut powder, dissolved it in some water and gave kids larger and larger doses.

The full study is here
NEJM - Error

They created a new drug called AR101 "a peanut-derived investigational biologic oral immunotherapy drug"

which had properties particularly effective at treating children and teenagers.

I'm convinced a lot of these allergies are down to chemicals used in the production of modern foodstuffs. Pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones, steroids etc. There just seems to have been an explosion in gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, nut allergies in the past 20 years or so which I wasn't aware of growing up.

A variation on homeopathy.

I think it's a fascinating subject, would love to see some data as to how the amount of food-related allergies had risen over the last 20 years.

It was impossible not to, given the depth and scientific breakdown in your replies. Well played, sir.
I did link to the study itself. It explains in there this is a brand new drug and utilises a previously unreliable method of suppressing immunity (unlike most drugs which increase immunity).

Not at all mate, its a big part of the diet out there and it's believed that exposure in the womb and at a very young age means that the instance of allergy are incredibly low.
Yeah, there's evidence among nutritionists in America that is forming right now. The thesis being western food is so refined/purified and we eat such a small variety of food that we aren't being exposed to pro-biotics on a scale similar to that of eastern asia.

Yeah, there's evidence among nutritionists in America that is forming right now. The thesis being western food is so refined/purified and we eat such a small variety of food that we aren't being exposed to pro-biotics on a scale similar to that of eastern asia.
One of my other theories. We are so sanitised, we don't have exposure to the germs we did as hacky kids. I always try to steer away from bleaches and anti-biotic wipes etc, and always encouraged my daughter to follow the 5 second rule when she dropped food.

One of my other theories. We are so sanitised, we don't have exposure to the germs we did as hacky kids. I always try to steer away from bleaches and anti-biotic wipes etc, and always encouraged my daughter to follow the 5 second rule when she dropped food.
Aye and if you pass 5 seconds do you switch to the 10 second rule? :lol:

Back