Peaky Blinders series 5

I really can’t get over how bad Jimmy McCavern’s Scottish accent is. It’s a British-made programme yet it’s the kind of thing I’d expect from a yank tv show.

How difficult could it have been to find a mean looking bastard that’s actually from Glasgow to play him?

It clearly looks like (to me anyway) that it's been dumbed down for the American market. it's the first time the BBC have did it, and I'm sure it won't be the last..

It clearly looks like (to me anyway) that it's been dumbed down for the American market. it's the first time the BBC have did it, and I'm sure it won't be the last..
In what way has it been dumbed down?

I think this is a cracking series so far, very dark in places, very brutal, no more cliched than the previous 4 have been.

Even if you think they’ve dumbed down the plots (I disagree) that shouldn’t really have any bearing on the accents of the characters if it’s British produced.

Just caught up with the last 3 episodes, decent watch. The MP angle is an interesting plot. Not many 'walking through a back drop of flames' scenes this series

Felt like little more than a filler episode, that. 100% agree re the Billy Boy's accent. Pitiful, and can only be because they were worried the overseas audience wouldn't have a clue what a genuine Glaswegian was saying.
They certainly teased a return for Alfie there!
Hope so. You think back to how electrifying it was whenever he was in it, and you realise this series has been a disappointment so far.

Last edited:
I enjoy it but if you know a bit about history, you know that his planned hit doesn’t come off. Sure they’ll have other sub plots though for the finale

It's not a factual drama though. Of course, Oswald Mosley lived sailing round the world on his yacht til 1980 and his son was head of F1 and a sexual deviant but, as far as I'm aware, there has never been a Romany Gypsy, ex soldier Gangster representing the Labour Party in Parliament.
They could easily rewrite history next week.

It's not a factual drama though. Of course, Oswald Mosley lived sailing round the world on his yacht til 1980 and his son was head of F1 and a sexual deviant but, as far as I'm aware, there has never been a Romany Gypsy, ex soldier Gangster representing the Labour Party in Parliament.

Not a chance he’s killing Moseley next week. You can get away with rewriting history aon small things but not to that extent.
It’ll be him with the dodgy accent, the billy boy who will get it I reckon

There was a big disclaimer flashed up in the end credits which I didn’t read in detail but looked like it was saying as much.

Not a chance he’s killing Moseley next week. You can get away with rewriting history aon small things but not to that extent.
It’ll be him with the dodgy accent, the billy boy who will get it I reckon
If Quentin Tarantino can get away with killing Hitler and Goebbels I reckon the BBC can get away with killing off Mosley.

Back