PC gone mad thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kind of crack is the other cheek of the same arse. The argument that anyone that ever expresses the opinion that on some occasions there are over-zealous and silly applications of political correctness that defy common sense or practicality, is of course a thinly veiled racist. This example of a shop worker refusing to process an alcohol sale is a prime example.

You know what, sometimes political correctness does go mad and it's incredibly churlish to suggest that it doesn't. It's just another in a long line of legitimate words and phrases that are spoiled due to misuse.

I think you've spectacularly missed the point. He's not saying it doesn't go over the top at times but that it is a small price to pay and a great deal better than the alternative.

Did anyone actually say this?

It's Stewart Lee

It's not illegal in this country to sell alcohol or pork etc so the shop should pander to any religious group which have objections to that
They shouldn't apply for the job in the first place and they should be told if you won't serve customers you are in breach of contract
For pity's sake how many corner shops and off licences are run by Asian muslims..?
Is the NISA chain not Asian owned?
Everything you say is of course correct. However the "left wingnuts" on here will have you down as a racist for daring to question anything to do with Islam and the people who follow it. Sorry like.:)

I think you've spectacularly missed the point. He's not saying it doesn't go over the top at times but that it is a small price to pay and a great deal better than the alternative.

I think you've missed the point.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Do you honestly think that most of the people that raise concerns about PC want to go back to the days where you could call people "niggers" without anyone batting an eyelid? People just want things to be sensible and not be labelled a bigot for pointing out instances where it isn't sensible. I also happen to think that people are judged more on the actual words they use rather than the motivation behind them. Take the backlash Alan Hansen got as an example, when he used the word "coloured" on MOTD, even though he was actually speaking out against racial discrimination. Never mind that though, he said "coloured" so get the pitchforks out. "Person/people of colour" is apparently acceptable now apparently, because that's completely different, obviously.

We should be able to apply political correctness with common sense and practically. Otherwise we end up with instances not a million miles away from that scene from the Life of Brian; "We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother. Sister, sorry."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back