PayPal or Credit Card?

I used Paypal to pay for Jet2 flights which later got cancelled. I normally use my credit card but at the time thought I'd use Paypal simply for ease as it was linked to the same credit card anyway.

After waiting for two weeks for the refund to arrive after the notification that our flights had been cancelled, I rang Jet2 customer services and the first question they asked was 'did you use Papypal?'.

Apparently, when you make a payment via paypal, the card number is not part of the reference passed to the vendor so all Jet2 had was an email address as a reference. Their system can't use that to automatically refund the money so, in cases like mine, they were simply waiting for the customer to contact them to authorise a manual refund back to Paypal.

I got the money back into my Paypal account two days after contacting them.

They should make it clearer to customers that if you'd paid via Paypal you need to contact them rather than just sit and wait for your card to be refunded. Other than that, all's well that ends well.
It may depend on the payment processor the company use, I know if they use Braintree (paypal company) then they can refund back to your card via paypal after atleast 2 years. The payment will just say paypal and the email in the shops end but all the details are saved by the company doing the processing. Its not actually your card but your account details they will store so even if you have a new card it'll get refunded to the correct account.

Jet2 may have been doing each refund manually which would take forever and be open to abuse. Pretty sure for some legal reason theyd need proof of where the funds came from though for each transaction and an email wouldnt be sufficient. Could have just been another excuse by Jet2 to try and keep customers money as well as if only 1% didnt check theyd be saving a fair bit.

Have two credit cards and have raised disputes with both. Had an auto-renewal charged when I had informed the provider I didn't want the service any longer and the card provider immediately credited my account, second was over the amount of time a firm was taking to refund me after goods were returned, again once card provider given all the evidence a credit soon followed. Both were for amounts less than £100. I don't use PayPal.

Back