PayPal or Credit Card?

MackemBob

Striker
Which do you find better for sorting stuff out when purchasing stuff goes wrong?

I ask as I am currently dealing with PayPal in a dispute with a company.

I’ve previously had dealings with Amex over an issue I had about 8 years back and they were excellent, sorting out the issue in about 10 minutes. Can I expect as good a service from PayPal?

Which do you find better for sorting stuff out when purchasing stuff goes wrong?

I’ve previously had dealings with Amex over an issue I had about 8 years back and they were excellent, sorting out the issue in about 10 minutes. Can I expect as good a service from PayPal?

I had a dispute with an internet security company..Avast i think..they took a payment without my authority..contacted PayPal and they quickly sorted it.

Amex are hard to beat

PayPal for me. For a while now I’ve used PayPal to buy most of my treats over £100 because you get 0% for 4 months over and over again so long as you make the payments.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act (the bit where you can get your money back from your card company if stuff goes wrong or the seller goes bust) doesn’t apply if you are buying through PayPal, even if you’re using your credit card.

So for over £100, I’d go Credit card.

Didnt know that . I have my credit card as main card for Paypal and thought it was covered the same

paid a fortune last year for a holiday which was cancelled due to the pandemic - used a credit card and got the whole lot back with a short delay

paid a fortune last year for a holiday which was cancelled due to the pandemic - used a credit card and got the whole lot back with a short delay
Much like everyone and anyone who booked a holiday that was affected by the pandemic. Some longer than others but don’t know of anyone who didn’t get their money back one way or another.

Had some bad experiences with Paypal a few years ago with ebay sales, still use it occasionally but prefer to use Amex/Sainsbury's credit cards now. Actually got a call from Sainsbury's a couple of years ago about suspicious activity they were monitoring on my card (not me) which was useful.

Didnt know that . I have my credit card as main card for Paypal and thought it was covered the same
I used Paypal to pay for Jet2 flights which later got cancelled. I normally use my credit card but at the time thought I'd use Paypal simply for ease as it was linked to the same credit card anyway.

After waiting for two weeks for the refund to arrive after the notification that our flights had been cancelled, I rang Jet2 customer services and the first question they asked was 'did you use Papypal?'.

Apparently, when you make a payment via paypal, the card number is not part of the reference passed to the vendor so all Jet2 had was an email address as a reference. Their system can't use that to automatically refund the money so, in cases like mine, they were simply waiting for the customer to contact them to authorise a manual refund back to Paypal.

I got the money back into my Paypal account two days after contacting them.

They should make it clearer to customers that if you'd paid via Paypal you need to contact them rather than just sit and wait for your card to be refunded. Other than that, all's well that ends well.

Back