Paying players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems fair enough as long as the clubs dont over commit themselves. The clubs with the most money will get the best players. Law of the jungle.

If it's done properly the recruitment of paid players can give a club a massive boost from top to bottom. Done badly it can cripple a club. Clubs should only be able to pay players once they have their junior section in order and their facilities are up to scratch.

If it's done properly the recruitment of paid players can give a club a massive boost from top to bottom. Done badly it can cripple a club. Clubs should only be able to pay players once they have their junior section in order and their facilities are up to scratch.

Very good post

Interesting isnt it that for cricket clubs everyone is mad keen on the junior setups as a way to underpin a club ie a bottom up approach yet football is totally different.

Totally agree however how do you police it. Danger is what has happened with local football will happen to cricket. Look at Brandon FC a few years ago they were winning everything, Then money drys up, players leave for money elsewhere and then bang no team. Call me old fashioned but I liked it better when I played. One Pro getting paid brought some excellent world class players to the Leagues. Tell me another sport where you could go to your local club for a game and play with and against some of the best players in the world.

Forget the saying onwards and upwards, what local cricket has done is onwards and downwards as the standard has certainly declined over the last 20 years.

This!! I know a club, wont mention its name, that is one of the top clubs and had built itself from the bottom up, 13's 15's 18's 2nds 1sts winning their respective leagues, or at least challenging.

Its history was of a good youth set up with many of the first team players made up from former junior players.

Due to bad management the club stopped investing in its youth and focused on paying for first team players and at the moment has no youth set up. From what I now understand the club has lost a lot of its "star" players to money being thrown about by teams in the new NEPL2 and now looks like it could be heading for trouble.

The question for this club is where does the next bunch of good young players come from that will keep this club at the top? Can't go to the youth system there isn't any. It doesn't have the money to pay for good first team players and in my opinion is heading for the bottom level of the DCL when realistically it should be in the NEPL2.

Every club should spend a percentage of its funds on a good strong youth set up, even if this at the expense of the first team.

Can't stand players getting paid fair enough decent pros but some of these local amateur lads that are paid is frankly embarrassing particularly when the clubs facilities aren't up to scratch.

Can't stand players getting paid fair enough decent pros but some of these local amateur lads that are paid is frankly embarrassing particularly when the clubs facilities aren't up to scratch.

Most obvious example that I can think of is Silksworth. They have struggled (relatively speaking) on the field for a few seasons now but resisted the temptation to go for a short term fix and bring in a mercenary or two. They instead have invested heavily in their facilities in that period; which have come on a lot. Those improved facilities will be there a hell of a lot longer than any paid player would have been. Chapeau Silksworth.

Most obvious example that I can think of is Silksworth. They have struggled (relatively speaking) on the field for a few seasons now but resisted the temptation to go for a short term fix and bring in a mercenary or two. They instead have invested heavily in their facilities in that period; which have come on a lot. Those improved facilities will be there a hell of a lot longer than any paid player would have been. Chapeau Silksworth.

I played all my cricket there up until a couple of years ago and droove past recently and they look to have got things right off the pitch. Good on them as hopefully they will be stronger for it in the long run. Silky has been drifting for years tbh and i hope the lads in charge there now have got things heading in the right direction.

I played all my cricket there up until a couple of years ago and droove past recently and they look to have got things right off the pitch. Good on them as hopefully they will be stronger for it in the long run. Silky has been drifting for years tbh and i hope the lads in charge there now have got things heading in the right direction.

Silky was a brilliant club in the 80s. A few familiar names are still involved but from a community spirit point of view it has fallen behind now. Or so I'm told

ive took on the skippers job this season new to this club but a challange for me and all involved ..[ silksworth ]

what ive seen in nets gives me hope we just need to give our all and iam sure we can win a few games ..

i can only state what ive seen of late in nets good bunch just need a bit juggling here n there ..

Agree with most of the sentiment on here where clubs should only pay amateurs if their youth policy and facilities are of a good standard. Some teams in the County League in the past have had problems such as no running water or no tea - yet have had paid players.

Another thing worth noting too is that if a club has two or three players receiving payment then the other players shouldn't be expected to fork out money on subs to pay for umpires/teas/clothing etc. Way I see it is the local lads will be the ones there when the pros have gone. Both in the playing side and the social side, putting money behind the bar in the winter months, etc.

It's all just on a moral level of course. Policing it would be nigh on impossible.

Agree with most of the sentiment on here where clubs should only pay amateurs if their youth policy and facilities are of a good standard. Some teams in the County League in the past have had problems such as no running water or no tea - yet have had paid players.

Another thing worth noting too is that if a club has two or three players receiving payment then the other players shouldn't be expected to fork out money on subs to pay for umpires/teas/clothing etc. Way I see it is the local lads will be the ones there when the pros have gone. Both in the playing side and the social side, putting money behind the bar in the winter months, etc.

It's all just on a moral level of course. Policing it would be nigh on impossible.

Some good points here

No water shite teas and honkin changing rooms but thousands on cricketers most of them piss off at the drop of a hat.

Club bars can be like ghost towns winter months
It's a very precarious line to tread. The strength of clubs is good youth set ups and WISE cricket administrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back