Pat Nevin

"The most common thing with young people is to worry about where you fit into the world. It is OK. Be yourself. If people don’t like you being you, that is their problem.

"If there is a message in the book, and it is really just me sharing, it is that it is OK to be an outsider. If you are a kid who has anything that is different about you, whether that is religion, sexuality, colour, anything, that is OK. Be comfortable being you."

great words, and a real shame we don’t all live by Them in society. it seems more than ever in the world of social media and divisions in society generated by those in power, we could all do with this being shouted from the rooftops more. I don’t begin to understand how everyone feels, or what or who they are as people but I hope I am open to accepting not everyone is the same as me and that’s ok, and I am open to learning and being educated further about what makes us all different, unique and wonderful.

i had no idea that mr Nevin stood up like this. Fair play in what must have been a difficult environment back then. I also like others have said think he is a great commentator on radio 5.

Comes across well. Think I'll give the book a read.

On a side note, who remembers when he played for Tranmere and Bally tackled him virtually knee high? A red card if ever there was one!

Our lass (no) was on a flight from London to Edinburgh for work and was chatting to him.

Said he was a really nice friendly bloke and it was only at the end of the flight when she asked what he did that she knew he was a football commentator - he wasnt at all up his arse about his career

Pat Nevin is the absolute worst pundit ever to feature on the football podcast circuit. Every time he is a guest on any podcast it is utter torture.

The bloke is a complete tit.
I’m about a third of the way through his book. It’s excellent

How many times does he use the phrase "Needless to say I had the last laugh" out of interest?

Last edited:
Pain in the arse tbh. Went off him when he consistently refused to criticise John Terry, or the Chelsea fans who supported him, for his racism.

Don't present yourself as this progressive intellectual thinker, if it doesn't apply to the shitty club who employ you.

Pat Nevin is the absolute worst pundit ever to feature on the football podcast circuit. Every time he is a guest on any podcast it is utter torture.

The bloke is a complete tit.

How many times does he use the phrase "Needless to say I had the last laugh" out of interest?
Have to say I agree with this. Irritates the life out of me.

Used to see him quite a bit at gigs in the '80s. One of my then mates worked at Chelsea, so chatted to him a few times about music.

Another mate runs 'How does it feel to be loved', where he's guest DJed.

Last edited:
His fav band was THE THE ... or so I believe ?
T' T' in Yorkshire.
When he played for Tranmere Johnny King just told him to go out and do whatever he wanted. He said that was all he ever got tactics wise. He loved having the freedom to express himself. Great player for us and his page in the programme was great. Almost as good as physio Les Parrys page. Intellect v piss taking.

Last edited:
I read a story about him before where he was in New York or somewhere with Chelsea and he spent the day looking round art galleries and was late for the bus for the airport. He told his management that he'd been out on the drink all day, just so his teammates wouldn't take the piss out of him.

Back