Pat Nevin

I read a story about him before where he was in New York or somewhere with Chelsea and he spent the day looking round art galleries and was late for the bus for the airport. He told his management that he'd been out on the drink all day, just so his teammates wouldn't take the piss out of him.
He got fined at Tranmere because he couldn't go to a team bonding piss up because it was his wifes birthday and he had promised to take her to see an Ibsen play. All the players were hungover except him on the sarurday. We won 5-0 and he got subbed off. He said thats when he knew he had found his place.

I bought his book last year (sined copy :cool:). It's still in my 'books to read' pile :) . I've looked at the pictures though, and read the Sunderland reference on page 165 (Milk Cup semi-final). He describes the Chelsea fans invading the pitch in the second leg, and his consolation goal at the end:

"In the dying seconds I got on to a through ball and lobbed the keeper for a consolation goal which had no bearing or interest - except for the fact that there was a horse galloping in the other direction in the same penalty box just beside me. It was one of, if not the most surreal moments of my career."

Last edited:
I’m sure I’ve heard SAFC fans mention that he has a dislike for us for some reason.
Regardless, I can’t say I’ve ever particularly liked him.

That’s not true

I spent an evening in the pub with Pat pre pandemic and he was very complimentary about Sunderland and especially the fans

I’ve told this story on here once before but we swapped emails and still have the odd exchange about music from time to time

He’s solid gold IMO, about as far from your archetypal footballer as you can get

Really enjoying his book, sounds like a top bloke

Thinks as much of David Speedie as Gary Bennett does
Got it on audible for £3 yesterday and I think it fantastic. Listened to loads of it yesterday.

What a fantastic bloke. Old school with a fantastic moral upbringing.

So refreshing to listen to the bloke.
Pain in the arse tbh. Went off him when he consistently refused to criticise John Terry, or the Chelsea fans who supported him, for his racism.

Don't present yourself as this progressive intellectual thinker, if it doesn't apply to the shitty club who employ you.
Well he must be a total liar because he was says he was heavily involved in anti racism campaign in early 80s. Criticised Chelsea fans and asked for a transfer when they dealt with a Paul Canoville incident.

Last edited:

Back