Pasta sauces

I was just going to stir some into the carbonara. I got some fresh in a casing from block and bottle in heaton. Used half of it in an oily pasta with a little bit of tomato
This is similar to my basic carbonara with pancetta and nduja. Never had fresh just a jar from carlucci’s which I use to drop on pizza.

Lloyd Grossman's Puttanesca is lovely and I don't usually do jars.
Homemade Puttanesca runs it a close second and you can always go a bit easy on the anchovies and heavy on the olives if that is your preference.

Yes I've used this before and its cracking. Hoy a tin of tuna in and some sliced black olives. Smashing.

I wouldn't thank anyone for Carbonara - especially the ones with cream in them. Sick bastards.

Proper carbonara is made with an egg yolk stirred into the hot pasta and even that turns my stomach. My missus mum (no) made it when we were visiting in Rome and I had to eat it out of politeness.

I didn't feell well afterwards :|

Had an scraped together tea last night. Garlic, chilli, olive oil, pasta water, served with salt and freshly ground pepper and a grating of mature cheddar. Tagliatelle pasta. Absolutely lusherooney and piping hot. Made me realise that the simple ones are often best.

We make a very simple sauce with whole tomatoes in summer - one of Mamma Alongi's (the MIL) recipes. Its clean and light and ideal when you dont want a heavy meal in the heat.

Method and recipe:

Get some spaghetti cooking in a pan of water (salted)

Good glug of quality Olive oil in a very gently heated pan - be generous.

Crush a large garlic clove into a paste with the flat of your knife (with some ground rock salt) and add to the pan. Keep a very low heat and dont burn the garlic. If it starts to sizzle chuck it out and start again!!

Add a large anchovie or two little uns and keep moving it in the pan

When you can smell the garlic and anchovie starting to soften and break up, add half a sliced red chilli and keep it moving in the pan.

Take 2 large ripe (good quality) fresh tomatoes and halve them then take out and discard the seeds. Chop the tomato finely and add to the pan. You can prepare these in advance.

Cook the sauce gently for a couple of minutes - it's done when the oil is almost emulsified in the tomatoes. Add your drained spaghetti to the sauce.

Serve with some fresh sliced chilli and freshly chopped basil sprinkled on top.

Thank me later

Last edited:
Not a sauce, but a couple of our favourite pasta dishes come from Jamie Oliver:

(farfalle works just as well)

(we don't bother with the mozzarella and replace the pancetta with lean bacon)

Both dishes require copious amounts of grated parmesan.

Anchovies puts me off to be honest.

Barely know they’re there. It’s class, give it a go.
For authentic carbonara the only thing binding it should be an egg yolk ,with the other ingredients of garlic, parmesan and a pancetta style protein.Any other additons with the exception of a spot of water from the cooking pot (though its not usually the done thing for this dish) to make it saucier is fine for personal taste but it is no longer Carbonara .

Parmesan?

Nor nah, Pecorino for a carbonara.

Last edited:
Yes I've used this before and its cracking. Hoy a tin of tuna in and some sliced black olives. Smashing.

I wouldn't thank anyone for Carbonara - especially the ones with cream in them. Sick bastards.

Proper carbonara is made with an egg yolk stirred into the hot pasta and even that turns my stomach. My missus mum (no) made it when we were visiting in Rome and I had to eat it out of politeness.

I didn't feell well afterwards :|

She’ll probably have made it with proper guanciale as well you ungrateful bastard :lol:
Correct - mind, I'm arguing with the hower but I make it with cheddar truth be told. :lol:

Wow.

When you do that do Italians appear at the window making hand gestures and saying ‘Mamma Mia’?

Lovely with prawns.
I often do a tapa that's basically just that - without the pasta obvs. Lusherooney to dip ya bread into.
She’ll probably have made it with proper guanciale as well you ungrateful bastard :lol:

Wow.

When you do that do Italians appear at the window making hand gestures and saying ‘Mamma Mia’?
:lol: I wish.

I din't burn charcoal for a living neither but that doesn't seem to matter.

I'm sure Gino made it for Fred and Gor-Don with gorgonzola (or summit similar) so some artistic licence is allowed in a rustle up.

Last edited:
I often do a tapa that's basically just that - without the pasta obvs. Lusherooney to dip ya bread into.

:lol: I wish.

I din't burn charcoal for a living neither but that doesn't seem to matter.

I'm sure Gino made it for Fred and Gor-Don with gorgonzola (or summit similar) so some artistic licence is allowed in a rustle up.

I had some last night as it goes. Made my own spaghetti.

Our lass bought f***ing bacon instead of pancetta though.

I had some last night as it goes. Made my own spaghetti.

Our lass bought f***ing bacon instead of pancetta though.
:lol: I dee it with bacon all the time. In fact I'm gonna make it tonight not. It's about what ya've got in - I always have bacon and a block of cheddar.

I made it with manchego and chorizo once - bit rich to be honest but it still works.

Never made me own pasta - couldn't be chowed with that. :lol:

:lol: I dee it with bacon all the time. In fact I'm gonna make it tonight not. It's about what ya've got in - I always have bacon and a block of cheddar.

I made it with manchego and chorizo once - bit rich to be honest but it still works.

Had a chorizo and butter bean stew on Monday. Delisherooney iirc.
Never made me own pasta - couldn't be chowed with that. :lol:

Tend to have pasta about twice a week so make a big ball of dough and divide it in two. Freeze one half and use the other.

It’ll sound weird but I find the kneading therapeutic.

Last edited:

Wow.

She did. :) she sends us a parcel every Christmas with a good amount of it (which we use it in our Amatriciana)

We get all sorts of goodies like Rum dark chocolate truffles from the City of Cuneo (Cunesi) which are tremendous. Some of the cheeses are too stinky for my liking..

Just finished me pasta bake. Sauce was tomato, chorizo, onion, green pepper and jalapeño with penne pasta then topped with grated Parmesan and mozzarella and baked until it’s starting to go slightly golden. Lusharoony

Back