Pasta sauces

For authentic carbonara the only thing binding it should be an egg yolk ,with the other ingredients of garlic, parmesan and a pancetta style protein.Any other additons with the exception of a spot of water from the cooking pot (though its not usually the done thing for this dish) to make it saucier is fine for personal taste but it is no longer Carbonara .
There's nee garlic in carbonara. And ya do use the pasta water. You've had a mare here with your scrambled spaghetti.

Last edited:

I realise I'll probably cop a deserved ban for this but I'm going in anyway. :lol:
At Christmas I made some broccoli and Stilton soup and froze it. I'm trying to use up all the stuff I've hoarded over the past few months and fancied something for my tea the other night but didn't want soup.
I defrosted it in the microwave then hoyed it in the frying pan to thicken up and threw in some Rigatoni.
It was the right side of edible and could have been a lot worse. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it or make it again but it's an option.

Was making a carbonara last night and realised we had no eggs left. Made a sauce with an onion, a red pepper, bacon, garlic, herbs and a carton of passata. Tasted canny 😎

Was making a carbonara last night and realised we had no eggs left. Made a sauce with an onion, a red pepper, bacon, garlic, herbs and a carton of passata. Tasted canny 😎
I did a cumberland sausage n mushroom ragu.

Soffritto, garlic, chestnut mushrooms, couple of left over cumberlands cut up, red wine n a tin o' toms. Tagliatelle to serve. Was nice.

Had an Nduja carbonara in Italy a couple of years ago. Just normal carbonara but the pancetta was replaced with Nduja sausage. Was sensational

Another vote for puttanesca - so easy and I always have chillI, garlic, olives, anchovies and tomatoes in so often an emergency supper. Also love vodka pasta. In a restaurant I would choose vongole but often disappointed As seafood frozen. A lovely restaurant in Liverpool (il forno - google it for pasta menu) does swordfish ravioli which are incredible. Costco sell something similar as do Waitrose. Lidl had a very nice crayfish ravioli recently.
Think I'll give this a go
If you find a Recipe please share....though my nduja jumped out of the fridge the other day. Where do you get yours from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for puttanesca - so easy and I always have chillI, garlic, olives, anchovies and tomatoes in so often an emergency supper. Also love vodka pasta. In a restaurant I would choose vongole but often disappointed As seafood frozen. A lovely restaurant in Liverpool (il forno - google it for pasta menu) does swordfish ravioli which are incredible. Costco sell something similar as do Waitrose. Lidl had a very nice crayfish ravioli recently.

If you find a Recipe please share....though my nduja jumped out of the fridge the other day. Where do you get yours from?

I was just going to stir some into the carbonara. I got some fresh in a casing from block and bottle in heaton. Used half of it in an oily pasta with a little bit of tomato

Back