Pasta machine

Been watching Masterchef and thought it looked like a piece of piss so just bought one on Amazon.

Any tips to help me along the way to be the best pasta maker on the SMB would be welcome....

Making the dough is easy. Never managed to get the hang of the machine and haven't used it for years.

They’re a game changer. I use the Trullo recipe for dough, not failed me once.

Perfect portion for two = 5 egg yolks + 100g of pasta/00 flour

Make a small well in the flour (in a bowl of course) and add the yolks. Start to combine til it turns to crumbs (add the smallest splash of water if need be) and you can mould it to a rough ball, then take it out and knead til smooth and shape or roll into a rectangle about a pound coin thickness. Wrap in clingfilm and stick in the fridge for 30 mins. Out it comes and let it return to room temp before rolling it through the pasta machine on its widest setting twice. Then the next widest twice and so on til it’s nice and thin.

Piece of piss.
Sounds good that.

Anyone make the eggless type with semolina / durum flour?

Sounds good that.

Anyone make the eggless type with semolina / durum flour?

Yeah it's pretty failsafe like. I was always put off making pasta before. Looked like a massive fanny on but in reality it's two ingredients and 30 mins work.

I make a crab and courgette spaghetti with that Trullo recipe. Basically you grate two courgettes into a bowl, salt them and squeeze out the excess water. Cook the fresh pasta for a few minutes in salted water while frying a good amount of butter, lemon juice, chilli flakes in a separate shallow pan. Add some of the pasta water to begin making a sauce. Toss the pasta into the shallow pan with tongs and give it a good working in the sauce. Add the courgette and crab (white and brown, or just white meat) then keep adding the pasta water whenever it dries out. Salt, pepper, more lemon juice and chilli flakes. Boom. A 10 minute (tops) dish.

Yeah it's pretty failsafe like. I was always put off making pasta before. Looked like a massive fanny on but in reality it's two ingredients and 30 mins work.

I make a crab and courgette spaghetti with that Trullo recipe. Basically you grate two courgettes into a bowl, salt them and squeeze out the excess water. Cook the fresh pasta for a few minutes in salted water while frying a good amount of butter, lemon juice, chilli flakes in a separate shallow pan. Add some of the pasta water to begin making a sauce. Toss the pasta into the shallow pan with tongs and give it a good working in the sauce. Add the courgette and crab (white and brown, or just white meat) then keep adding the pasta water whenever it dries out. Salt, pepper, more lemon juice and chilli flakes. Boom. A 10 minute (tops) dish.
Got a recipe / tips for the pasta?

What an absolute fuck on, it’s just taken over 2hrs to make spaghetti. Tried to set the machine up for a left hander but got it wrong. Rolled it too thin so it was linguini, flavour was good but overcooked it and it went soft and a bit sticky. Next time will be better. All 3 of us enjoyed doing it like.

Last edited:
We made some tagliatelle on my birthday (gave us something to do!) and really enjoyed it, somehow managed to cook it perfectly despite taking our eyes off the timer. Seems like something you get better at with practice.
This or Barilla is also decent.

Only ever buy Mutti passata and polpa if possible.

Had 24x cans of Mutti polpa arrive today, was going to buy more San marzano but read good things about it.

Last edited:
We made some tagliatelle on my birthday (gave us something to do!) and really enjoyed it, somehow managed to cook it perfectly despite taking our eyes off the timer. Seems like something you get better at with practice.

Had 24x cans of Mutti polpa arrive today, was going to buy more San marzano but read good things about it.

I’m a bouji twat when it comes to canned tomatoes and Mutti Polpa is the best for making pizza.

Where did you buy them from?

What an absolute fuck on, it’s just taken over 2hrs to make spaghetti. Tried to set the machine up for a left hander but got it wrong. Rolled it too thin so it was linguini, flavour was good but overcooked it and it went soft and a bit sticky. Next time will be better. All 3 of us enjoyed doing it like.
Excellent news. Just as I’d said in the first reply. Keep at it and you’ll get the knack.

Where did you buy them from?

They’ve actually reduced a few quid in price since I ordered them!

I’m a bouji twat when it comes to canned tomatoes and Mutti Polpa is the best for making pizza.

Just realised its the peeled plum and not the polpa, just need to mash them up for sauces.

Last edited:

Just realised its the peeled plum and not the polpa, just need to mash them up for sauces.
Thanks; should have known 😄

Does anyone know what the Italian Wholesale place in Hendon sells tinned Tom wise? The price list never loads in these days for me?

A good price here if a few chip in together - 21.99 for 24 cans, free shipping on orders over 60 quid, otherwise the same as amazon as is a tenner postage

Tinned Toms

Back