Pasta Carbonara

Well tell it to the Italians, Mind they wont know much about Pasta now would they?

Anyway you can put cheese on at the table as they do

:lol:

You act as if nobody else but you has spoken to an Italian, or seen an Italian chef make a Carbonara. I also have a copy of ‘La Cucina’ beside me which is a fairly definitive guide to Italian food.

You crack on with your egg slurry though.

Last edited:

Aye.
I always fry off, in a deep frying pan - finely chopped onions & garlic until soft, then add smoked gammon cut into small dice.
Fry them off, season with salt & black pepper and when the spaghetti is ready add that to the frying pan.
The add 2 beaten eggs with some parsley along with grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.
Mix it all in, and cook for a couple of minutes and as already mentioned, add the spaghetti water, stirring in to make a sauce.
Absolutely lusheroony, and it works every time.

No cream whatsoever.
Remove pan from the heat whenever adding cheese, Butch

- saves you some mega dosh in the long run as well, which you will doubtless like

Remove pan from the heat whenever adding cheese, Butch

- saves you some mega dosh in the long run as well, which you will doubtless like
Always do marra, and keep the whole lot stirring so it doesn't catch.
The cheese melts in beautifully and the eggs coat the spaghetti.
Lusheroony.
I shall be having some next week for tea now.

This article suggests that the WW2 origin is the most accepted and that the first mention of the dish was in 1944. It also mentions the miners in the Appenines as an alternative, but less accepted, explanation.

Personally, on the authenticity front, I would turn the argument on its head and ask why would you would add pasta to bacon and eggs?

This article suggests that the WW2 origin is the most accepted and that the first mention of the dish was in 1944. It also mentions the miners in the Appenines as an alternative, but less accepted, explanation.

Personally, on the authenticity front, I would turn the argument on its head and ask why would you would add pasta to bacon and eggs?
Because .. no one eats bacon and eggs on with nowt else ( bread, tatties, pasta ... )

I reckon anyway

Aye.
I always fry off, in a deep frying pan - finely chopped onions & garlic until soft, then add smoked gammon cut into small dice.
Fry them off, season with salt & black pepper and when the spaghetti is ready add that to the frying pan.
The add 2 beaten eggs with some parsley along with grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.
Mix it all in, and cook for a couple of minutes and as already mentioned, add the spaghetti water, stirring in to make a sauce.
Absolutely lusheroony, and it works every time.

No cream whatsoever.
Oh lovely, scrambled egg pasta!

Never apply heat after the eggs go in. Let them cook to a silky coating with the heat of the pan with a fairly vigorous stirring. Takes 30 seconds max.

But definitely no cream

You act as if nobody else but you has spoken to an Italian, or seen an Italian chef make a Carbonara. I also have a copy of ‘La Cucina’ beside me which is a fairly definitive guide to Italian food.

You crack on with your egg slurry though.

^ never been to Italy or spoken to an Italian before.

Because .. no one eats bacon and eggs on with nowt else ( bread, tatties, pasta ... )

I reckon anyway

Maybe I worded it badly, but bread, taties, etc. are not integral to the meal that is "bacon & eggs". You can put what the hell you like with it but it's still bacon & eggs.

Oh lovely, scrambled egg pasta!

Never apply heat after the eggs go in. Let them cook to a silky coating with the heat of the pan with a fairly vigorous stirring. Takes 30 seconds max.

But definitely to cream
That's what I did the last time I tried to make it. I knew it was incorrect, but I was drunk. Still ate it mind. Depressing.

Back