Pasta Carbonara

Carbonara and Bolognese are two entirely different dishes.

Bolognese like any great traditional dish (panhaggerty, Irish stew, chicken soup etc etc) hasn't got a fixed receipe just some very basic ingredients. With Bolognese I would say they are ground beef and a tomatoe sauce but what goes in to that is at the the discretion of the chef .

I love Italian food and all over Italy its wonderful. I am always amused by the Italians who no matter where you go will tell you that the best food in Italy is to be found in their village or town but the very worst food in Italy is to be found in the village or town that's just down the road.

I know that and agree with your points. On here the views on what should and shouldnt go in a classic dish can get heated to say the least.

The Stanley Tucci programme on csn highlights your exact point about local and regional variations.
They’re definitely the nation that’s most protective/defensive of its national cuisine when you suggest changing or adding something. Which is no bad thing tbh.

Dinnar like the french are more so imo when it comes to recipes but the Italians are stricter when it comes to rules governing produce imo.

Last edited:

Got a fat lump of imported guanciale in the fridge just waiting to be carbonarified the minute I’m over covid and can taste again.

Back