Pasta Carbonara

Simpler the better, I do stick some garlic in 30 seconds before pancetta is finished, although I know its not the done thing over there

One of my absolute favourites, so easy to make, just about the best ingredients

Proper rich yolk

I see Gino was on cooking it on Saturday morning.

He put parsley in with the egg-mix and hoyed it over the pasta, then topped off with pancetta. Not convinced about that mesell like.

One of the 4 classic Roman pasta dishes and the US soldier tale seems me a myth. Why would they then call it carbonara - makes no sense. I was told it was named after the carbonari who produced charcoal and were known for the ingredients they took into the woods for their pasta snap.

Best I have ever had was at Roscioli in Rome with the key feature being the cubes of guanciale cooked to perfection being crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. Never been able to replicate. Can‘t wait to go back.

How to make a perfect Bolognese is always likely to result in fights on here so what about this other Italian classic?

Onions was something I didnt use until I saw that bird on master chef do it.

Cream or not?

Any pasta type you dont use?

Egg yolks only of course.
Never cream. People only add cream because they can’t do it properly the knars

Going to give this a bash but it will have to be pancetta and Parmigiano Reggione as I’ve got no pig cheeks or pecorino.
First time I’ve made it following this thread. What a revelation. The coating on the pasta (I used linguine as I prefer it to spaghetti) was truly spectacular. I’d give myself a good 8.5 or even 9/10. I’d use a dash more pasta water next time and must try the pigs cheek and pecorino to see what difference they make.

How to make a perfect Bolognese is always likely to result in fights on here so what about this other Italian classic?

Onions was something I didnt use until I saw that bird on master chef do it.

Cream or not?

Any pasta type you dont use?

Egg yolks only of course.
Carbonara and Bolognese are two entirely different dishes.

Bolognese like any great traditional dish (panhaggerty, Irish stew, chicken soup etc etc) hasn't got a fixed receipe just some very basic ingredients. With Bolognese I would say they are ground beef and a tomatoe sauce but what goes in to that is at the the discretion of the chef .

I love Italian food and all over Italy its wonderful. I am always amused by the Italians who no matter where you go will tell you that the best food in Italy is to be found in their village or town but the very worst food in Italy is to be found in the village or town that's just down the road.

Carbonara and Bolognese are two entirely different dishes.

Bolognese like any great traditional dish (panhaggerty, Irish stew, chicken soup etc etc) hasn't got a fixed receipe just some very basic ingredients. With Bolognese I would say they are ground beef and a tomatoe sauce but what goes in to that is at the the discretion of the chef .

I love Italian food and all over Italy its wonderful. I am always amused by the Italians who no matter where you go will tell you that the best food in Italy is to be found in their village or town but the very worst food in Italy is to be found in the village or town that's just down the road.

They’re definitely the nation that’s most protective/defensive of its national cuisine when you suggest changing or adding something. Which is no bad thing tbh.

Back