Pasta Carbonara

Gino decampo did a roma one on one of his shows. I cook that one now basically one egg, picarino cheese grated, linguine, SMOKED Pancetta, parsely and salt/pepper.

The frogs do this small tube pasta called coquillette. Superb for baked pasta dishes.

They also do this thing called crozet. Basically you fry some lardons make a cream sauce. Toss it all in a baking dish and throw a Camembert sliced down the middle lengthways on top

The french are f***ing class when it comes to terry like.

I usually fry a couple of shallots along with streaky bacon.
Parmigiano Reggiano & cheddar, 5 egg yolks / 4 egg whites.
Salt & black pepper.
I'll sometimes throw in some peas or mushrooms (not necessary but healthier, I think).
Definitely no cream.

I remember watching a Masterchef skills test and a couple of the professionals put in cream and I was shouting "NOOO" at the TV - Marcus Waring ripped them a new one, of course.

I like a bit of cream in mine. Maybe the Italians should try it - they might realise it tastes better.

They probably do in the north, that's dairy country.
I just get a bit fed up with 'authenticity'. Make and eat what you enjoy. Is this the right moment to bring up steak and sauce...?

I love sauce with a steak dinner. I made anchovy hollandaise the other night and served it on the side, in a ramekin, where it belongs...

Back