Passport renewal

You don't need 6 months left to travel. How do I know? Because I once went around France on my wife's passport and it wasn't a problem ... until I got to Calais and the lass on customs wouldn't let me on my train back to England. Me mates all rode their bikes onto the train all the while laughing and waving goodbye. Twats. I had to get my missus to email a photo of my passport to the customs office in Calais who gave me a photocopy to take to the passport desk who then let me onto the next train.

About a week, two max.

At some point though everyone whose passport expired last year and this year are going to apply all at once.
If anyone’s passport is expired or expiring I would strongly advise to get it done now.
I renewed mine through the post office last week..handed it in to them then got a message of the passport office saying 6 to 7 weeks.

How long is the wait for renewal?
I did mine about 6 weeks ago, I was told it could take up to 2 months but got it in 2 weeks.
Used to be to the expiry date before in the EU. Same for USA & Australia though I don’t think they’ve changed and you’ll need visa waiver.

I've travelled with less than a month on mine before but took my second passport just in case.
How did you manage that. Don't you have to send your old passport in with your application for a new one? They then cut the corner off your old passport and return it to you.
But there again you may have dual nationality.

Last edited:
I did mine about 6 weeks ago, I was told it could take up to 2 months but got it in 2 weeks.

How did you manage that. Don't you have to send your old passport in with your application for a new one? They then cut the corner off your old passport and return it to you.
But there again you may have dual nationality.
I had an Israeli stamp in my main passport from back when they used to do that rather than using a separate slip. I then had to go to work in Saudi who at the time wouldn’t allow you in if you had an Israeli stamp so had to get a second UK passport.

Just discovered that my passport is invalid, it was due to be renewed this month anyhow as displayed on passport, but as I’d renewed early (can’t remember why) apparently it expired last May ( issue date) and not this month🤷‍♂️

Is that just for EU or anywhere?
Not sure,it was just pointed out to me today by my son, apparently it was because of Brexit, as I said no big deal for me as I’ve not been abroad since pre COVID and it‘s due for renewal now anyway, but according to my son a friend of his was refused permission to board a plane after having checked in and got through security etc?

Last edited:
super markets should start and sell milk in glass bottles again
Im not sure how ive managed to post in a different thread 😄

Last edited:

Back