Passive investing

Status
Not open for further replies.
why don't you speak to a financial advisor/stockbroker and go from there?
Don't be so f***ing ridiculous. It's only his family's future wealth & happiness ffs. Just log on to buffoon central here and you'll learn all you need from people who seem like they know their shit. Solid.

Been looking at passive investing as a way to invest a regular monthly amount circa £300 to start for at least 10-20 years. I'd love to retire before I'm 50 in 19 years with the compound interest I'm hoping this can help me achieve my goal. Anyone do this and can recommend any providers or reading material as this is all very new to me.

This site seems a great resource http://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-in...

Surely a personal pension plan would be the best most tax efficient way to go? Mine grew 17% last year alone.

Talk to Grahame at Complete
Money Care 01429 874567, top bloke used him for 10 years very honest and straight forward.

Don't be so f***ing ridiculous. It's only his family's future wealth & happiness ffs. Just log on to buffoon central here and you'll learn all you need from people who seem like they know their shit. Solid.

I think you're giving most IFA's more credit than they deserve, I may well use an IFA but I'll also learn as much as I can personally from various resources first to make an informed decision.

Surely a personal pension plan would be the best most tax efficient way to go? Mine grew 17% last year alone.

Money Care 01429 874567, top bloke used him for 10 years very honest and straight forward.

Yea but the only problem is when I can access the money.

At current cost of funds and last years dividend I think it would be around £150 per year. Of course on it's own that is nowt special but add it to growth and re-investment etc. and it all mounts up over time. Remember there are no guarantees on any of this but most evidence now points to reducing your costs (fees), passive funds and giving it time. Vanguard is good because you can kind of forget about it - if you know the reasoning behind what you're doing there is no need to sit watching the market go up and down. Check back in 6 months or a year and see how it's doing. You're in it for the long haul - the regular monthly payments also spreads your risk so you are investments are spread over the up's and down's.

I read a book that was recommended:
DIY Pensions: A Simple Guide to Pensions, SIPPs & Retirement Planning.

This was because I moved money into a personal pension arranged by myself - same reason as the S&S ISA - to save fees and follow the passive investment concept.

There's loads of websites out there dedicated to passive investing etc. As I said, it's nothing new - Monevator was just set up by some bloke who advocated it also - his site's been around for a while. It's no rip off / scam! :)

Try reading the Pensions / Investing forums on Money Saving Expert. A couple of blogs are worth a read (Mr. Money Mustache, The Escape Artist, etc.) - not so much passive investing but good advice on planning an early retirement / prioritising etc.

Thanks Shack I'll get reading.

Thanks Joe I'll take a look.

Last edited:
@taylost3 There is a forum called bogleheads that contains loads of info regarding this topic... "bogle" refers to Jack Bogle the guy who founded vanguard.

You will get much more detailed answers to any questions you have if you post them there too.

@taylost3 There is a forum called bogleheads that contains loads of info regarding this topic... "bogle" refers to Jack Bogle the guy who founded vanguard.

You will get much more detailed answers to any questions you have if you post them there too.

Excellent thanks I'll check it out

Whilst buying a small business might be abit more hands on than passive investing, the rewards are generally greater and more controllable.
I tend to look at small businesses that are sustainable and are being sold for genuine reasons. That's the hard part .
Then I look to see if I know and trust someone to go in and run it . They get a salary and a percentage of net.
Even if you only make 15 to 20k profit per yr that beats most other things I would imagine.
Paid £95k for a business 9 yrs ago , returned a six figure net every yr and just sold it for £1.3m .
There's ample out there for everyone just need to look.

Whilst buying a small business might be abit more hands on than passive investing, the rewards are generally greater and more controllable.
I tend to look at small businesses that are sustainable and are being sold for genuine reasons. That's the hard part .
Then I look to see if I know and trust someone to go in and run it . They get a salary and a percentage of net.
Even if you only make 15 to 20k profit per yr that beats most other things I would imagine.
Paid £95k for a business 9 yrs ago , returned a six figure net every yr and just sold it for £1.3m .
There's ample out there for everyone just need to look.

Not bad at all what type of business was it?

Been looking at passive investing as a way to invest a regular monthly amount circa £300 to start for at least 10-20 years. I'd love to retire before I'm 50 in 19 years with the compound interest I'm hoping this can help me achieve my goal. Anyone do this and can recommend any providers or reading material as this is all very new to me.

This site seems a great resource http://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-in...

Did you get sorted?

Hang on, you only started in January and you're going to retire 8 years earlier than you thought? Well done, by Christmas you might be retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back