Passive investing

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm generally suspicious of all small businesses that are up for sale

Can you add the same value or more than the current owners?

Why don't they have family interested if it's decent?

Too many businesses are valued without taking into account the hours you have to shove in

I pretty much agree with everything @Icarebecauseyoudo said on this thread, he seems to have his head screwed on.

I would avoid paying fees to someone to invest your money in shares, they're basically guessers who will charge you a premium if they guess right.

Property has performed brilliantly over the last few decades but it can't keep outperforming everything else. There is a good graph out there that historically once average property prices reach seven times average income then the bubble bursts and once it's four times average income it surges.

If you want something safe that beats inflation then I would recommend Zopa. It's a very well established peer to peer lending site that pays up to 7% with hardly any risk at all.

I pretty much agree with everything @Icarebecauseyoudo said on this thread, he seems to have his head screwed on.

I would avoid paying fees to someone to invest your money in shares, they're basically guessers who will charge you a premium if they guess right.

Property has performed brilliantly over the last few decades but it can't keep outperforming everything else. There is a good graph out there that historically once average property prices reach seven times average income then the bubble bursts and once it's four times average income it surges.

If you want something safe that beats inflation then I would recommend Zopa. It's a very well established peer to peer lending site that pays up to 7% with hardly any risk at all.
It would surely be risky if another recession hit ;)

Zopa another way of making hay while the sun shines

I do this and have been for a couple of years now.
Don't bother with a financial advisor, very few of them beat passive investing over long periods.
I use Fidelity/Cavendish to buy Vanguard index funds mainly.
Use your stocks and shares ISA to buy some Vanguard Lifestrategy funds is a good place to start. These type of funds contain stocks and bonds. General rule of thumb is hold more stocks if you are nowhere near retiring. As you get closer to retirement start switching to bonds, less risky but lower return.

Warren buffet the king of the stock market told his heirs to invest in similar index funds.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/warren-buffett-to-heirs-put-my-estate-in-index-funds-2014-03-13
This

Vanguard LS funds are ideal, with low all in ongoing charge

IFA's/investment consultants are basically guessers, that is one way of describing decades of training and qualifications.

:oops::oops:

kinda like paying a dentist, he just guesses what to do with your teeth.

Brexit could ultimately break the property market, if foreigners stop piling into London

It's a crazy bubble, but it also inflates the rest of Britain

In the sort term Brexit has been good for shares, but is that a long term bet?

Thats the thing I
This

Vanguard LS funds are ideal, with low all in ongoing charge

This is what I was looking at

100 k SPARE...buy a small business .Best investment done correctly.
Sounds good but I don't unfortunately most of my money is tied up long term this will be a regular sum every month.

Reactions: JJH
Passive investing generally is talking about tracker funds. You obviously need to diversify across different asset classes/regions etc. depending on your risk attitude etc. I used to be in various tracker funds for a split I'd come up with myself. The problem is you need to balance this allocation yourself. I recenlty moved the Vanguard Lifestrategy products - they have slightly higher fees (0.24%) but auto-balance and are simple to select based on your risk profile. I went in 100% equities purely because I don't plan to cash out for 10+ years, so would expect an crash to recover in that time.

Those knocking Monevator site - it doesn't recommend products but is biased towards passive investing. This in itself is nothing new and indeed a lot of company pension schemes these days use a PI model as evidence points to very few investors beating the market over longer timeframes.

With 20 years investment most would advise you put it into 100% equities as it can survive many probable dips but still recover and grow. Remember also that you will earn dividends which you should choose to accumulate and re-invest to add tpo the compounding effect.

Passive investing generally is talking about tracker funds. You obviously need to diversify across different asset classes/regions etc. depending on your risk attitude etc. I used to be in various tracker funds for a split I'd come up with myself. The problem is you need to balance this allocation yourself. I recenlty moved the Vanguard Lifestrategy products - they have slightly higher fees (0.24%) but auto-balance and are simple to select based on your risk profile. I went in 100% equities purely because I don't plan to cash out for 10+ years, so would expect an crash to recover in that time.

Those knocking Monevator site - it doesn't recommend products but is biased towards passive investing. This in itself is nothing new and indeed a lot of company pension schemes these days use a PI model as evidence points to very few investors beating the market over longer timeframes.

With 20 years investment most would advise you put it into 100% equities as it can survive many probable dips but still recover and grow. Remember also that you will earn dividends which you should choose to accumulate and re-invest to add tpo the compounding effect.

Great advice thanks mate, everything I read is pointing towards the vanguard lifestyle products which seem very reasonable. How much are you likely to make in dividends per 10K for example?

Higher risk but consider saving some decent amounts and then investing in some seed enterprises.

The SEIS is a really good incentive from the govt that offers you a tax shield on 50% of your investment as well a CGT relief on your earnings when you sell

Great advice thanks mate, everything I read is pointing towards the vanguard lifestyle products which seem very reasonable. How much are you likely to make in dividends per 10K for example?

At current cost of funds and last years dividend I think it would be around £150 per year. Of course on it's own that is nowt special but add it to growth and re-investment etc. and it all mounts up over time. Remember there are no guarantees on any of this but most evidence now points to reducing your costs (fees), passive funds and giving it time. Vanguard is good because you can kind of forget about it - if you know the reasoning behind what you're doing there is no need to sit watching the market go up and down. Check back in 6 months or a year and see how it's doing. You're in it for the long haul - the regular monthly payments also spreads your risk so you are investments are spread over the up's and down's.

I read a book that was recommended:
DIY Pensions: A Simple Guide to Pensions, SIPPs & Retirement Planning.

This was because I moved money into a personal pension arranged by myself - same reason as the S&S ISA - to save fees and follow the passive investment concept.

There's loads of websites out there dedicated to passive investing etc. As I said, it's nothing new - Monevator was just set up by some bloke who advocated it also - his site's been around for a while. It's no rip off / scam! :)

Try reading the Pensions / Investing forums on Money Saving Expert. A couple of blogs are worth a read (Mr. Money Mustache, The Escape Artist, etc.) - not so much passive investing but good advice on planning an early retirement / prioritising etc.

Been looking at passive investing as a way to invest a regular monthly amount circa £300 to start for at least 10-20 years. I'd love to retire before I'm 50 in 19 years with the compound interest I'm hoping this can help me achieve my goal. Anyone do this and can recommend any providers or reading material as this is all very new to me.

This site seems a great resource http://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-in...

Give me a PM if you want mate. I can help you out if you like. I advise on active, passive and discretionary fund management investments.

I strongly believe that advanced diversification from a reputable DFM (who makes no extra charge for the service) is now the way to invest using a combination of active and passive diversified globally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back