Parrot breathing heavily

I rolled him into the sitting room for a bit, put the fire on in case he was cold and he calmed down after about an hour although you could still hear him. I went to bed and he was back to normal by the morning.

Phew! Pleased he is ok :cool:

Keeping a bird, in a cage, in a house.

Just grim that like, the place must stink as well.

What's the attraction?

Good companions and places don't stink as they have to be kept in really clean conditions or can become unwell. African Grey' s have emotional intelligence and tantrums of a 2 year old and intelligence reasoning of a 4 year old. They become part of the family and spend more time out of the cage than in. Mine (Merlin) goes back in to sleep on his perch, but otherwise can come out when he wants. Had Merlin my bird since he was 3 months old and he is now 16 years old and has a chance of living until he is 60 or more.

He is football daft and is an adopted Mackem shouting; Ha-way the lads and various other non swearing football related sentences. Gets annoyed at the refs whistle as well, just like me. The only thing he does not do is throw stuff at the TV like I do when things go wrong for the team.

A study has found that the creatures are capable of cool intelligent reasoning to the same level as a four-year-old child.

An African grey parrot was found to be capable of working out the location of hidden food using the kind of deduction and elimination skills previously seen only in humans and apes.

The discovery means that parrots join a select band of creatures at the pinnacle of animal intelligence.

Can also have a chat with him as he understands some short conversations as for a 4 year old. - That's the attraction. Most Parrots cages are kept pristine and sparkling clean as they (parrots) can fall ill if cages not kept clean and tidy. Also you would not keep any pets in a shithole? We don't and imagine majority on here do not whatever their pets as responsible owners it's not something people do.

parakeets are hard nuts and don't suffer from illness

Yes they do

Last edited:
You should have waited till he was dead and plucked before you stuffed him rather than shoving sage and onion up his arse with a lolly stick. That was bound to make his eyes water and probably result in heavy breathing.

Back