Parky's recruitment vision.

He's correct in what he is saying. I remember watching us against Rotherham where they were bigger, stronger and more athletic. We got away with a 1-1 draw but they were the better side and we really struggled with them physically - they didn't play rubbish footy either.

We've always been easily bullied our midfield is as weak as water

I agree with this and especially the bit in bold. On the argument that this style of play only gets you so far, to a degree I agree, but I think it’s a style that will get you promoted from this league and get you into mid table in the Championship. Any higher than that and you do need to add to the basics he's identifying in the article but it gives you a platform to build from.

Agree with that. If he can get us up, and get us mid table in the championship then it's a very good job imo. Whether he's capable of doing it is a different matter entirely like, but at the minute a season where we successfully stay in the championship feels a life time away. In theory a strong, athletic side can get you there. My only concern is that we aren't hearing the word talent. It doesn't matter how big or strong you are, or how fast, or how athletic if you don't have any talent. If we get the best players available to teams in this league, be they small, nippy players or physical, athletic ones, we'll go up. The style of football and type of player can be left for the manager to decide, but he needs to be ensuring he gets the best of whatever type is out there. I'm not sure we'll either target them (due to financial constraints) or be able to identify them (because our recruitment team is shit).

Oh, I agree we most likely won’t get the 20 goal striker in a free. I was just continuing my more general point that an excellent side can be easily put together at this level without incurring a fee (even more so for a club with our supposed sway and stature at this level), Again, I don’t have any faith in us doing that.

I just think the failings will be more in the hierarchy’s appointments to key positions rather than a lack of finances (which there probably will be too). We spent a fortune on Grigg and could have easily spent nothing on a better suited player for example.

We might have no choice if the salary cap is imposed for next season. Players signed for fees at this level normally command a higher wage.

We've always been easily bullied our midfield is as weak as water
Correct. I like Dobson and, for me, he's the pick of the CM's but he just not mobile enough. Power is OK but he's neither nowt nor summat and Leadbitter is done. I am interested to see Scowen because although he's not a big lad I get the impression he's nippy about the pitch and quite aggressive - that's a bit of what we need.

If you want a strong athletic player that’s also good on the ball you’re gonna have to pay money for them and they’ll all probably be in a higher league unless your scouting team finds a gem. Compromises will have to be made somewhere
He is 100% correct. I’d say we were relegated twice because we didn’t have enough physicality and athleticism. The best sides in the modern game play a pressing game. People moaning about what he says are whingeing bellends. Whether our badly run dysfunctional club deliver that is another matter of course.
Everyone knew this when we went down and Stewart Donald also recognised how important it was on a podcast. He then sold McNair, bought afew CBS they weren’t dominant and assembled a weak as piss team with the exception of Wyke and Loovens who were both shit anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
We might have no choice if the salary cap is imposed for next season. Players signed for fees at this level normally command a higher wage.

You'd hope there's no chance of a cap for next season. I don't see how it could be argued as being fair when teams are, as we speak (well, type or whatever) offering deals to players for the season ahead. I don't see how they can currently have no cap, we could in theory announce 5 players tomorrow all on decent deals, then they suddenly say "actually there's a cap now". They are incompetent as fuck mind so nowt would surprise me, but I'd think they'd at least have to give a season's grace, and even then they should really exclude existing contracts because otherwise lads on a 3 year deal will be getting forced out (quite likely to clubs that will pay them less) through no fault of their own

You'd hope there's no chance of a cap for next season. I don't see how it could be argued as being fair when teams are, as we speak (well, type or whatever) offering deals to players for the season ahead. I don't see how they can currently have no cap, we could in theory announce 5 players tomorrow all on decent deals, then they suddenly say "actually there's a cap now". They are incompetent as fuck mind so nowt would surprise me, but I'd think they'd at least have to give a season's grace, and even then they should really exclude existing contracts because otherwise lads on a 3 year deal will be getting forced out (quite likely to clubs that will pay them less) through no fault of their own

Agree, the likes of Stoke, Huddersfield and Boro would be well fucked. The issue is though that they give clubs already in the league a year's grace but you still need to have one eye on meeting that target in a year's time. There's also the issue that the EFL will have to give the three teams relegated from the Championship a year's grace every season which gives them a huge advantage.

Spot on ,also the teams coming down will always have a problem.I think it would take 5 years to get all the ducks in a row.Having said that we must get out this coming season before they start messing about.I also agree with Parkys statement 100 per cent

Agree with that. If he can get us up, and get us mid table in the championship then it's a very good job imo. Whether he's capable of doing it is a different matter entirely like, but at the minute a season where we successfully stay in the championship feels a life time away. In theory a strong, athletic side can get you there. My only concern is that we aren't hearing the word talent. It doesn't matter how big or strong you are, or how fast, or how athletic if you don't have any talent. If we get the best players available to teams in this league, be they small, nippy players or physical, athletic ones, we'll go up. The style of football and type of player can be left for the manager to decide, but he needs to be ensuring he gets the best of whatever type is out there. I'm not sure we'll either target them (due to financial constraints) or be able to identify them (because our recruitment team is shit).
He does indicate in this he wants younger players with the ability to put a shift in which is where our transfer energy should largely be going.

I'll give the bloke a chance next season. But I've a feeling the owners are going to screw him out of the players he wants. It'll be freebies or nothing.

Agreed, Parky isn't my cup of tea either but with no takeover in sight we've very little option but to back him and try our hardest to get out of this division.

There is nothing wrong with a "direct" style of play, and we have lacked the physicality to deal with teams at this level (especially away from home) I pray the board back the manager by bringing in who he's sees will fit his system.

He isn't good enough as a manager and plays shit football. He'll probably be sacked by Christmas and we'll have another 7 or 8 players we can't shift for years.

We need to build a footballing identity and start to recruit young, promising players that fit into a style and can improve and be sold on.

He isn't good enough as a manager and plays shit football. He'll probably be sacked by Christmas and we'll have another 7 or 8 players we can't shift for years.

We need to build a footballing identity and start to recruit young, promising players that fit into a style and can improve and be sold on.
Wont happen ,he will get the job done if backed.What happens in the champo will be decided by the hopefully new owners.

If you want a strong athletic player that’s also good on the ball you’re gonna have to pay money for them and they’ll all probably be in a higher league unless your scouting team finds a gem. Compromises will have to be made somewhere

Everyone knew this when we went down and Stewart Donald also recognised how important it was on a podcast. He then sold McNair, bought afew CBS they weren’t dominant and assembled a weak as piss team with the exception of Wyke and Loovens who were both shit anyways.
We played against those plenty of times in this league to prove that they are available and to teams with a minute budget in comparison. We have no recruitment plan or strategy. Who's available and who's cheap.

Agreed, Parky isn't my cup of tea either but with no takeover in sight we've very little option but to back him and try our hardest to get out of this division.

There is nothing wrong with a "direct" style of play, and we have lacked the physicality to deal with teams at this level (especially away from home) I pray the board back the manager by bringing in who he's sees will fit his system.

We weren’t direct enough under Ross. Too many times the build up play was slow and allowed opposition to get back into position. Surely we don’t have to be attempting tiki taka to get out of League One?

These are my worst fears. Parky assembling a lower league version of Stoke under the misguided view that Sunderland fans only like long ball.

Grigg made a similar view, that Sunderland fans like it direct, and I’m not sure where this comes from as I don’t know anyone who enjoys that. Sure, we hark back to Quinn and Phillips but that was a team that played some fantastic football and was far more than direct to Quinny.

We’ll never move through the leagues playing like this and it will simply mean yet another massive rebuild at some point in the near future.
Griggs is talking shit to cover his own failings.

Quinn upfront with Johnson&Summerbee etc wasn’t long ball. It was the best football I’ve seen safc play in my 50 years of suffering. Once Reid pissed J&S off we started playing more long ball with full backs launching it from the halfway line instead of from an overlap and central midfielders playing outside who didn’t have the ability to beat a man so HAD to hoy in an early high ball.
Hutchison presence hinted that we may be attempting to change our style and the Hutch&Phillips ripping to shreds of Chelsea at the Bridge seemed to confirm it. Then in came Flo, Laslandes and Reidys new clothes were revealed in all their glory.
What a wasted opportunity. I bet Bob Murray still has long long nights staring at the ceiling even now. So close and yet so far. It’s Shakespearean stuff when you allow yourself to think about it.
We weren’t direct enough under Ross. Too many times the build up play was slow and allowed opposition to get back into position. Surely we don’t have to be attempting tiki taka to get out of League One?
It was working early doors first season. We outpassed Gillingham and Wimbledon away the same week. Wimbledon were the biggest team I’ve ever seen. I think they only had three players smaller than our tallest who was the Dutch centre half. Is he still here btw?

Last edited:
Griggs is talking shit to cover his own failings.

Quinn upfront with Johnson&Summerbee etc wasn’t long ball. It was the best football I’ve seen safc play in my 50 years of suffering. Once Reid pissed J&S off we started playing more long ball with full backs launching it from the halfway line instead of from an overlap and central midfielders playing outside who didn’t have the ability to beat a man so HAD to hoy in an early high ball.
Hutchison presence hinted that we may be attempting to change our style and the Hutch&Phillips ripping to shreds of Chelsea at the Bridge seemed to confirm it. Then in came Flo, Laslandes and Reidys new clothes were revealed in all their glory.
What a wasted opportunity. I bet Bob Murray still has long long nights staring at the ceiling even now. So close and yet so far. It’s Shakespearean stuff when you allow yourself to think about it.

It was working early doors first season. We outpassed Gillingham and Wimbledon away the same week. Wimbledon were the biggest team I’ve ever seen. I think they only had three players smaller than our tallest who was the Dutch centre half. Is he still here btw?

Loovens? Went ages ago. Shite.

Reality is we need to give him a chance, anything for me is better than the current mare of having footbal return without Sunderland being involved... Its like being told its finally Xmas day but some feckers nicked all your prezzies.... Shit having sod all to get excited about so I'm gonna give him a chance to shine or feck up cos owts better than chuffing nowt....

Back