Parkrun Thread

Looking to start doing these.

What do you do with your barcode? Do you have to run with it? When do they scan them etc? Is there timing chips?

Looking to start doing these.

What do you do with your barcode? Do you have to run with it? When do they scan them etc? Is there timing chips?

Keep it with you on the run, when you finish you'll be handed another barcode token with your place number on it & you give your personal barcode & the number token to the volunteers doing the scanning. They scan yours & give it back to you then scan the place barcode & keep hold of that.

After everyone's finished the run director uploads the data from the stopwatches & barcode scanners & syncs them up so everyone gets their numbers.

Scan barcode. keep it with you. no timing chips. i would get it laminated

This, nothing worse for a scanner than trying to scan a soggy sweaty crumpled bit of paper with fold lines through the barcode while a queue of finishers is building up.

Keep it with you on the run, when you finish you'll be handed another barcode token with your place number on it & you give your personal barcode & the number token to the volunteers doing the scanning. They scan yours & give it back to you then scan the place barcode & keep hold of that.

After everyone's finished the run director uploads the data from the stopwatches & barcode scanners & syncs them up so everyone gets their numbers.

This, nothing worse for a scanner than trying to scan a soggy sweaty crumpled bit of paper with fold lines through the barcode while a queue of finishers is building up.
http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/parkrun-barcodes-ra1.aspx

I've done the Whitley Bay parkrun a couple of times, but really like the Druridge Bay parkrun, less people and a nice course.

Trying to get round all of the north east ones this year. Done Sunderland, Albert park, Darlington, Northallerton, Hartlepool, riverside, Durham, sedgefield, Stewart.

Each to their own but I can't understand why people do like 100 parkruns but all at the same place.

I want to go quicker than 24mins but I'm finding it harder as I get older. I'm only 36!!!

Trying to get round all of the north east ones this year. Done Sunderland, Albert park, Darlington, Northallerton, Hartlepool, riverside, Durham, sedgefield, Stewart.

Each to their own but I can't understand why people do like 100 parkruns but all at the same place.

I want to go quicker than 24mins but I'm finding it harder as I get older. I'm only 36!!!

Tees Barrage is a bit different but theres little chance of a pb there

First one for a few months this am poor time probably my worst ever. However massive scope for improvement.

I've done the Whitley Bay parkrun a couple of times, but really like the Druridge Bay parkrun, less people and a nice course.

Whitley bay is my local parkrun but I have been doing Rising Sun since the route changed.

There was an unsavoury incident at Whitley yesterday due to a quick runner pushing someone out of the way and a first timer being called 'a fatty'.

Although its a minority its still shocking and unacceptable behaviour.

Aiming to do the Silky one end of January when I have a Saturday off work. Will be my first one ever so hoping it goes ok and I can try a few others.

Whitley bay is my local parkrun but I have been doing Rising Sun since the route changed.

There was an unsavoury incident at Whitley yesterday due to a quick runner pushing someone out of the way and a first timer being called 'a fatty'.

That's disgusting behaviour. Hopefully the culprit is known and is banned from other parkruns.

Disgraceful that like mate.

It's my local course as well and not 100% keen on the new layout. Leads to congestion everywhere but that lad who did that needs banning like. So far removed from the ethos of ParkRun

It's my local course as well and not 100% keen on the new layout. Leads to congestion everywhere but that lad who did that needs banning like. So far removed from the ethos of ParkRun

I run with a few of the organisors and I volunteer to marshall a few times too. They are aware of the issues but their hands are tied with the work going on.

At least their is a run I suppose and it must be on of the most challenging parkrun around.

Have you been to Rising Sun yet. I love it

Does anyone check for parkruns when booking weekends away like me and my wife do, or is it just us saddos?

We even did 4 in australia when we were over visiting relatives in the summer which were great despite the 7am starts.....

Last edited:
I run with a few of the organisors and I volunteer to marshall a few times too. They are aware of the issues but their hands are tied with the work going on.

At least their is a run I suppose and it must be on of the most challenging parkrun around.

Have you been to Rising Sun yet. I love it

I haven't - I will try it at some point but as the whit bay one is within walking distance for me I get drawn to it every week. I still like the course - a sat morning run by the sea is great for the soul. Just hope the work gets finished by the summer so we can get the old course back.
It seems the new course is also running a bit long ? Would you agree ?

I haven't - I will try it at some point but as the whit bay one is within walking distance for me I get drawn to it every week. I still like the course - a sat morning run by the sea is great for the soul. Just hope the work gets finished by the summer so we can get the old course back.
It seems the new course is also running a bit long ? Would you agree ?

Probably yes, my watch normally has the 5k complete when i am running up the final hill...

Back