Parkinson's got the job.

Decent enough post on the Guardian story on his appointment for what it's worth.

'A great appointment for Sunderland. Parkinson is a god among Bradford fans. He took us from the bottom of League 2 to the League 1 play offs with a League Cup Final and an amazing FA Cup run where we beat Chelsea and (ironically) Sunderland along the way.

He steadily improved us and we finished in a higher league position each year he was in charge. He only left us when he met the new owners and decided he didn't like the look of them (his suspicions were 100% correct).

He isn't going to give you attacking free flowing football but he'll give you stability which is what Sunderland need by the sounds of it. I'd back him to get Sunderland promoted this season but if not I'd give him a chance for next season.
He's a class act on and off the pitch so I really hope this works out for both parties.'

I was initially underwhelmed by his appointment but after seeing his interview on safc.com and reading informed posts like yours i am hopeful he will get the job done for us

I really wish him all the very best. We need a new man to propel us to where we want to be, I hope he can be that man.
We need to sort out our recruitment team anarl.
I am expecting a defeat tomorrow but given time let’s hope he gets us there.

speaks very well, love the talk about playing to the strikers strengths which we don’t do!!

That was one of the really bemusing things about Ross.
Given the goalscoring records of both of them before they came - there's virtually not a team in the league who's fans wouldn't have celebrated like f*ck if they'd signed them, and the fans expectations would have rocketed.

We put them both out on the pitch and barely create a chance a match for them, let alone play in a way that we know would bring the best out of them.

That was one of the really bemusing things about Ross.
Given the goalscoring records of both of them before they came - there's virtually not a team in the league who's fans wouldn't have celebrated like f*ck if they'd signed them, and the fans expectations would have rocketed.

We put them both out on the pitch and barely create a chance a match for them, let alone play in a way that we know would bring the best out of them.

He has already mentioned getting the crosses in quicker, Gooch and McGeady were forever avoiding the early cross and coming back at their defender. Allowing the oppo defenders to get on our one attacker in the box

He has already mentioned getting the crosses in quicker, Gooch and McGeady were forever avoiding the early cross and coming back at their defender. Allowing the oppo defenders to get on our one attacker in the box

I like him more already.

There was a stats twitter account today doing a round up of the first division making exactly this point: we're set up defensively but don't have a great defence, and when we get possession we don't counterattack quickly either allowing teams to constantly stifle us.

They also made the point that last year teams set up defensively against us but now they appear to be having a go, so creating more chances for our strikers was imperative.

Probably cos i was hoping , like many others, for a big name to coincide with the "takeover" / investment. Nothing against him ...its just that we were sort of led to believe that big changes were afoot. Like i said though , i was impreseed with his interview.....he actually came across better than Jack Ross imo

As I thought. And just as Simon O'Rourke said on Tyne Tees on the day of his appointment. I feel so sorry for you and your kind. You seem to find it such a struggle to find the idea that we were NEVER going to get a "big name" absorbs easily into your brain. When are you going to get it? Not at the level we are at. Takeover or no takeover the idea of us getting a big name manager is ridiculous. Every bit as ridiculous as getting a big name player. Yet certain people like you seem to think big name managers are the exception. We would never think a big name player would play in League One so why would people then think a manager of a similar level of name would manage in it?

League One and Two could never do anything to make English football like it and view it more appealingly. They could never do anything to make any player or manager with any level quality go into it. It will always be seen as a world filled with inferior clubs filled with inferior quality unknown no-marks who play inferior football. You could be winning every game and playing fantastic football and still never be able to attract managers or players who are of any quality and are used to being in football purely for the profile and the money.

What we need right now is just a manager who can get us out of this league and Phil I think can do that. Though I am wary of whether or not he can do it to the same level he did at Bolton Wanderers or Colchester United.

Got to say I was underwhelmed when we appointed him but he’s grown on me.

He reckoned we were going to Wycombe for 3 points and we weren’t good enough without the ball. That’s the type of stuff I want to hear. Knows how to improve us and isn’t afraid to say we’re going to win.

Was abit concerned when he said we were going to play to our forward players strengths and then talked about how Wyke will thrive on crosses & getting the ball in the box earlier, the lad can’t get his headers near the goal

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of all the managers 'linked' with the club, I am happy with his appointment. Knows this league and will hopefully get us playing more attacking football while shoring up the defence :)

Got to say I was underwhelmed when we appointed him but he’s grown on me.

He reckoned we were going to Wycombe for 3 points and we weren’t good enough without the ball. That’s the type of stuff I want to hear. Knows how to improve us and isn’t afraid to say we’re going to win.

Was abit concerned when he said we were going to play to our forward players strengths and then talked about how Wyke will thrive on crosses & getting the ball in the box earlier, the lad can’t get his headers near the goal
He might get a few if more chances are created.

Seeing that interview he reminds me of Reidy or Sam a bit. Straightforward old fashioned and determined to get everyone giving their all with a huge dose of pragmatism. Feel cautiously optimistic now.

Wish him all the best. We need to go up. He’s not going to be able to change the way we play or attempt to make us easier to watch. He’s not had the time and I’m not sure he’ll have the inclination given his brief. If he gets us wins and it isn’t pretty then I’m sure we’ll all accept that. Going forward, we will need more but if he gets us up and that brings about off field change (ie the Americans take more control and make bigger changes) then it’ll be very much job done and thank you Phil Parkinson.

Back