Parkinson slams the salary cap and the other L1 clubs

It's not like teams are forced to pay big wages, if they want a salary cap of 2.5m then they can do that club by club.
The entire thing still seems very weak legally imo, personally see it getting overturned.

Can you imagine your boss coming and telling you your salary is getting reduced next year cos all the companies in your field voted a wage cap for your trade?

Saracens offered that as a defence for their salary cap breaches and the independent panel of lawyers who handled the investigation, one of whom is a former Justice of the Supreme Court, ruled that they are legal. Wasn’t tested in a court of law but doesn’t give much support to this argument.

Saracens offered that as a defence for their salary cap breaches and the independent panel of lawyers who handled the investigation, one of whom is a former Justice of the Supreme Court, ruled that they are legal. Wasn’t tested in a court of law but doesn’t give much support to this argument.

They're probably legal on the grounds that payments to an individual aren't restricted, although clearly that leaves less in the kitty for everyone else. Also, I seem to recall that the rugby cap allows for a certain number of "marquee" players, whose pay isn't included in the calculation.

There's a shock. Clubs voting for self interest.

One course of action would be for Sunderland fans, as well as the others who voted against it, to not bother (when we're allowed back in grounds) going to the away games who were in favour of it.

They want to block finances available to us? Fuck it, they can have a taste of their own medicine.
Be great if it happens but fans are selfish and don’t know where their best interests lie.

Bosman’s case was to do with him being out of contract with a Belgian club who blocked him from signing with a French club. As an EU citizen he had freedom of movement between EU countries so his case was that Liege couldn’t stop him from signing for Dunkirk once his contract with them had expired. So, different and, yeah, Brexit.

In other news, manager of club to be disadvantage by salary cap introduction says salary cap shouldn’t be introduced. Everyone goes with their self-interest on both sides

Well aware of that. The reasoning behind the judgement (I believe)was that it was classed as a restrictions of trade .... so similar to, but not the same as Bosman. I'm well aware of the facts you gave but that wasn't the question I asked. Which was is this not a restriction of trade? Therefore could it not be construed or argued that a cartel created this position and be therefore illegal/dubious within the confines of the law. Not a lawyer so I wouldn't know hence the question.

Of course businesses go with there own best interests at heart and if it buggers the opposition BONUS!.

Well aware of that. The reasoning behind the judgement (I believe)was that it was classed as a restrictions of trade .... so similar to, but not the same as Bosman. I'm well aware of the facts you gave but that wasn't the question I asked. Which was is this not a restriction of trade? Therefore could it not be construed or argued that a cartel created this position and be therefore illegal/dubious within the confines of the law. Not a lawyer so I wouldn't know hence the question.

Of course businesses go with there own best interests at heart and if it buggers the opposition BONUS!.

As mentioned above, their legality was affirmed by the independent panel of lawyers who investigated Saracens’ salary cap breaches. Not tested in a court of law but strongly suggests they are legal. Grumpy likely has the right of it as to why.

I think it ridiculous that we should not be allowed to take on a better standard of player because of the salary cap. There are 30000 people who want this against Accringtons 2500. It’s a blatant denial of our human rights.
Or alternatively pay more to employ a coach who can improve and get the best out of players rather than just more players wages

cos thats worked well for us so far hasn’t it .

I think for it to stand legally surely the championship and prem should also have a cap imposed on them. Imagine last season the likes of Bournemouth demanding a similar wage cap to MAN United or Luton with Leeds? It makes no sense and reeks of jealousy - bigger clubs should be allowed to pay more.

Premier league is separate, but the championship is EFL, so it makes no sense, any owner of a club who doesnt like it would piss all over it in court and claim costs for it, however it would require spending money in the first place and it would take a while. We obviously wont do it as the structure of the club appears to be as f***ing spineless as some of the players we have bought in recent years
Or alternatively pay more to employ a coach who can improve and get the best out of players rather than just more players wages

cos thats worked well for us so far hasn’t it .

You cant polish a turd

Its not just the coach, its the academy, its our scouting set up, its also the fact the fucker who owns us, couldnt run a f***ing sweet shop

Last edited:

Back