Parents who “share” their kids at Xmas

This year will be the first year that I won’t be waking up with the kids on Xmas morning. They’re only 5 so xmas is a big exciting thing for them still.
I’m not complaining about the time I’m getting with them or anything, me and the ex get on well and what we’ve arranged is fair for everyone.

Just wondering from people in the same boat, when do you do the present opening? I’ll be picking them up late morning so there’s time to do it then before dinner, but a few people I’ve spoke to have suggested having our own “Xmas morning” but on Boxing Day?

Daughter has her 3 on Xmas eve and xmas day then taking them to their Dads on Boxing day morning for 2 days.
Its not the best but it`ll have to do for now

I have them for first week of Christmas one year, second week the next and on and on.

Works well. Much better than swapping during the day but then mine live quite far away so that's impossible anyway.

Mine just open their presents when they swing past mid/late morning, stay for a few hours then bugger off down their grans.
Was a bit difficult the first year when they left again, but it's become pretty routine now.

I'll be picking him up at 3 on Xmas Day where he'll open the presents from family but I tell him Santa comes back on Xmas Day night to drop more presents off for him so we both still get the excitement of him waking up to presents

How do you feel about it?

I’m fuckin sick tbh but like I say I’m not complaining about my time with them when I know some Dads don’t get to see their kids at all.
i had one on xmas day then one on boxing day. as a kid you think its better (double presents), but as you start to get older its a bit shit.

I always have my two Xmas Eve through to Xmas morning. Do the stockings and presents and all that, then their Mum comes and picks them up for the usual big family Xmas. I get them back somewhere over the next week for a bit.

Means I can sod off to the pub and do what I like after getting the best bit of the day.

Girlfriends kids alternate Xmases with her dickhead ex, and it's a f***ing faff on because whole families have to arrange the big xmas dinner for Boxing Day on the years they don't have them.

Mind, this year, he's been such a twat, he has to drop them back each evening.

Always did xmas down the in laws(100 mile away) so when we split i just let them do that and i rang him xmas day .We've always still bought one lot of pressies from "mam and dad" so this two present opening thing never came up .The in laws died close together so last year i called over for a few hours in the morning before i headed for a family dinner

My bitch of an ex made it very clear that if I wanted to see my kids over Christmas it had to be at her place on her terms. I stuck it for several years until I got to the stage of wanting to spend time with my new partner (now wife) on Christmas Day too. It all came to a head on one awful Christmas Day when I ended up having TWO Christmas dinners just to please everyone.

Since then I've not see my kids on Christmas Day or Boxing Day for 10 years, they just come over and get their pressies a coupe of days earlier. Even though they are in their early 20's now it still hurts.

Divorced parents (and lets be honest its usually the mother) who use Christmas as a weapon are f'kin scum.

I used to have Christmas Day with me mam and Boxing Day with me da.

Still do.

There was a couple of years when I was a bit older where I'd go over me dad's on Christmas night n get me presents then anarl, but it's always mainly been Boxing Day.

Ideal really when ya a bairn like - two Christmases. :cool:

First time for me too. We've amicably arranged for them to stay with me for the few days leading up, including the magic of Christmas Eve. We're having a Christmas Dinner that evening like the Europeans do. They get to open presents in the morning then I'll drive them over to their man's house and they get to repeat Christmas Morning and have another Christmas Dins. Meantime my parents and I hit the road around 9 bells and up to my sister's house in Newcastle hopefully around 2pm in time for another (!) Christmas Dinner and refreshments.

Also means I clock two home games before getting the train back on 30th.

My boy stays at mams xmas eve always has done thats his home.
I go round xmas morning for present opening as main present is usually off both of us.
He has dinner at mams although I have been known to stay for dinner.
I come away.
He comes to mine tea time.
Off to my folks then mine xmas night.
Has boxing day lunch with me (boxing day is the big family day for her side) back to mams.
Rest of the holidays we work out.

Without preaching or taking the piss. Parents have to.realise a solid amicable relationship between parents, where the kids are put first is always better than any bitter point scoring, regardless of why you split up.

Ps.sad how many single dads and mams we have on here. Lets have a group hug.

Last edited:
This is the first one in three I'll have her Christmas Morning but last year we did it Boxing Day as her Mother has moved 24 miles away.
I just treated Christmas Day like any other then went round my Mother's with her next day for the dinner and everything as well.
The bairn seems to enjoy having two Christmas Days.

Last edited:
How do you feel about it?

I’m fuckin sick tbh but like I say I’m not complaining about my time with them when I know some Dads don’t get to see their kids at all.

I was like that last year mate and was fairly miserable Christmas Eve but just decided to not dwell on it, pop out for an afternoon pint and then treat it like any other day (I tried to avoid Christmas telly stuff and put the odd box set on). Boxing Day was class her with her.
I'll have it again next year.

Back