Parents getting old

I'm guessing that it's more the size of the place and his difficulty (as seen by everyone else) in keeping it in a good state that's the worry, aside from the glasses. The latter just seems to be pride, regardless of age, and he's being a bit daft not going for a test. Above a certain age in particular, people should get into the habit of having their eyes tested every 2 years, regardless of what they see as their need. In all probability, he's got good eyes but has astigmatism so his eyes don't adjust quickly.

Yeah, I have astigmatism, (which I know about because I've been getting my eyes tested since I was 30) so there's a fair chance he does. He's just a stubborn old git who refuses to acknowledge anything he sees as weakness.

I see this on a daily basis with work and I've experienced it with my parents too. Sadly, it is normally failure ( sometimes catastrophic) that lets the flood gates open for care to be accepted.
Don't fall out with them, let them have what they want even if that falls short of what they need. Make sure they know that help is there but don't preach about it.

We had a falling out in the family about my dads care. We knew he needed help but both my Mam and dad were refusing. We had to let failure to happen before help was accepted which is hard but it was his choice. Me Mam was buggered at this point too but it was short lived as he died soon afterwards.
It's tough. You think they are indestructible when you are a bairn but seeing them shrink and become frail is hard.
You can only offer help and be there to pick up the bits

Back