Panoramic pictures using DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpongebobMax

Midfield
Hello,

After seeing a panoramic sweep on flikr I am wondering does anybody do this type of thing in photoshop already using their DSLR?

if so, any tips?

Hello Max,or bob
I'm only recent to this forum so here goes.
I find that PhotoShop does a good job of stiching shots together.
Set the camera to manual to keep the exposure the same for all shots.
I take shots in portrait style rather than landscape so it takes more shots to cover the same area,
Use a tripod and overlap the shot by about a third.
Photomerge does the rest.

Here's a recent one of mine.
Hope it uploads OK
The size doesn't do it justice though as its a big, big file size
picture.php

Last edited:
Hello Max,or bob
I'm only recent to this forum so here goes.
I find that PhotoShop does a good job of stiching shots together.
Set the camera to manual to keep the exposure the same for all shots.
I take shots in portrait style rather than landscape so it takes more shots to cover the same area,
Use a tripod and overlap the shot by about a third.
Photomerge does the rest.

Here's a recent one of mine.
Hope it uploads OK
picture.php

Did you have it on Macro?

really impressed with all the examples, thanks guys, ill have a go.

on your first pic not spavin, what settings did you use?

I am having difficulty when taking shots at night, focusing etc

SpongebobMax said:
really impressed with all the examples, thanks guys, ill have a go.

on your first pic not spavin, what settings did you use?

I am having difficulty when taking shots at night, focusing etc

It would have been summat like f4, 8 sec exposure, and ISO at 100. Should have been a bit brighter tbh.

For that kind of shot, I'd usually flick the focus to manual, then set it to infinity. Another trick for focusing at night is to shine a torch on the subject, focus, then lock the focus before shooting.

Andym and Clyde on here are both very talented night photographers, they'll be able to offer better advice than me.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpongebobMax said:
Wat is infinity? When I manual focus it looks rubbish. Totally out of focus.

Depending on your lens, infinity is when you turn the focus completely clockwise or completely anti clockwise. It essentially means that your focus point is whatever is furthest away.

ok.... relatively massive :)

A brief lesson on using hyperfocal if you want one

For big depth of field use f22 or f16, and position the infinity mark next to 22 or 16 on the focus ring. The 22 or 16 markers on the other side of the scale will show how close you can focus for everything to be sharp.

For small depth of field use the widest aperture, say f2.4 and focus solely on the point where you want sharpness

Last edited by a moderator:
A brief lesson on using hyperfocal if you want one

For big depth of field use f22 or f16, and position the infinity mark next to 22 or 16 on the focus ring. The 22 or 16 markers on the other side of the scale will show how close you can focus for everything to be sharp.

For small depth of field use the widest aperture, say f2.4 and focus solely on the point where you want sharpness

And also the depth of field increases with distance too. If you're focusing at infinity then even using f2.4 is going to give you more depth of field than if you were to focus on something much closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back