Panic Buying

Anyone use Sainsburys on Wessington Way?

Pre virus times on the odd occasion I was in it was deserted. Is it still “off the grid” or is it as busy as the rest of them now?

I used to go in before work but then they kept the first hour for the oldies so stopped.Went Monday after work and it was ok tbh

Who’s going to police it, though? I could see supermarket staff getting a shoeing or run over. Police have far better things to do.

I’ll have to get my Golf back on the road, then I’ll be able to shop every day! :lol:
I wouldn’t really do that. I get my shopping delivered anyway.
Supermarket car parks are cameraed up.

No idea what the best time is to go for the dreaded shop. In ordinary days I do it early when there's nobody about, but I'm wondering if every bugger has the same idea now and is out in force from the off to grab what they can. Don't fancy drowning in my own lung juices in a fortnights time just so I can get a head of broccoli, a few eggs etc
It's fine now mate, most places getting back to normal. Just check the opening times as some open later now and first hour is often oldies/NHS only.

Supermarket car parks are cameraed up.

Yeah, how will that stop anyone? Apart from the fact that the camera operator couldn’t possibly keep up with hundreds of cars coming and going, how’s he going to maintain and cross check in real time a list of who’s been in the day before?

It’s unworkable, man! :lol:

Yeah, how will that stop anyone? Apart from the fact that the camera operator couldn’t possibly keep up with hundreds of cars coming and going, how’s he going to maintain and cross check in real time a list of who’s been in the day before?

They can cop a fine, that'll put s good few off.

Just put this on another thread.

Just been to Asda in Washington. Queued for about 10-15 mins at 2m apart to get in. Arrows on the floor to follow, although most forgot about them after about 2 ailes. Very civil, majority observing the 2m rule, still the odd knacker mind. Got everything I wanted except hand gel, long grain rice and weirdly lettuce. Nobody using the self-service checkouts, took about 45 mins all in. Very well organised. Said thanks to the staff, their reaction suggested they're not used to it.

And I saw Leadbitter in the car park!

ANPR. That’s how most camera car parks work now. Camera reads the plate. Same plate on two consecutive days...FINE
Just put this on another thread.

Just been to Asda in Washington. Queued for about 10-15 mins at 2m apart to get in. Arrows on the floor to follow, although most forgot about them after about 2 ailes. Very civil, majority observing the 2m rule, still the odd knacker mind. Got everything I wanted except hand gel, long grain rice and weirdly lettuce. Nobody using the self-service checkouts, took about 45 mins all in. Very well organised. Said thanks to the staff, their reaction suggested they're not used to it.

And I saw Leadbitter in the car park!

He’s one of us
He’s one of uuuuus
Leadbitter shops at ASDA
He’s one of us

Last edited:
They’d have to keep a record of who’s been the previous day to do that. That’s the point.

I don’t know any supermarket car parks with ANPR. CCTV isn’t ANPR!

Almost every supermarket has ANPR. That’s what the cameras do, they read the plates mate. They’re everywhere. There is no escape.

He’s one of us
He’s one of uuuuus
Leadbitter shops at ASDA
He’s one of us

:lol:
To be fair he was just walking towards the Galls from the car park, may not have been going to queue for Asda.
Good luck to him if was going to Boots, queue didn't move for 25 mins so I gave up!

Really? For what reason do supermarkets have them? It’s an expensive system to get fitted.

To administer their parking fines. They give an almost infallible log of who came in and who went out, without ever needing to employ a parking attendant, meaning you can fine people for going just over the time limit or returning too often.

Just read this - Asda.com - Online Food Shopping, George, & more

Some of their supermarket car parks have ANPR. Asda don’t have direct access to the data, though.

The third party would have to be able to automatically process and match up registrations on consecutive days. It might be doable, it might require a software rewrite and a new contract with Asda.

I still don’t think this will happen. Not unless there’s government mandated rationing for a lengthy period to make it worthwhile.

Back