Pandering to keep ball merchants

There’s always been attacking teams and defensive teams. I doubt Italy, Leeds or Man City are going to watch England and go “We better play shit football too lads!”
The game as a spectacle is fine. Unfortunately England and SAFC are choosing to play a shit form of it

That’s a good point. I imagine another problem is increasing the tournament to 26 teams so a lot more of the mediocre nations qualify.

I'm hoping that the knockout stages will improve the level of play when the better teams play the better teams. The same way that it does in the Champions League.
It's not even the mediocre teams bogging it down. Sweden have only played some actual forward thinking football for about 20-30 minutes out of 180, and have 4 points to show for it. Tonight we didn't seem to really be going all out for the win, because why risk a defeat that puts qualification on shaky ground? Get to 4 points and feel confident of at worst being a 3rd place qualifier. But 2nd is guarenteed if we don't lose the next match...

It's not even the mediocre teams bogging it down. Sweden have only played some actual forward thinking football for about 20-30 minutes out of 180, and have 4 points to show for it. Tonight we didn't seem to really be going all out for the win, because why risk a defeat that puts qualification on shaky ground? Get to 4 points and feel confident of at worst being a 3rd place qualifier. But 2nd is guarenteed if we don't lose the next match...
Only 4 of the 3rd placed teams qualify for the knockouts. So it is a risky tactic to hope that there's at least 4 third placed teams worse off.

Only 4 of the 3rd placed teams qualify for the knockouts. So it is a risky tactic to hope that there's at least 4 third placed teams worse off.
Since it seems likely that Group B will have a 3rd place team finish on 3 points (have to fancy Belgium to beat Finland), and 3rd place in Group A is likely to finish on negative GD (unless the Swiss or Turks smash goals in) it feels like 4 points is enough. If Spain beat Poland tomorrow, that leaves Slovakia in 3rd in that group with 3 points and Spain left to play. Just feels like safe can get you through.

Since it seems likely that Group B will have a 3rd place team finish on 3 points (have to fancy Belgium to beat Finland), and 3rd place in Group A is likely to finish on negative GD (unless the Swiss or Turks smash goals in) it feels like 4 points is enough. If Spain beat Poland tomorrow, that leaves Slovakia in 3rd in that group with 3 points and Spain left to play. Just feels like safe can get you through.
It happened in the last world cup, teams putting 11 men behind the ball, hoping to scrape 3rd place

This tournament has been the most boring tournament that I have seen. Although admittedly I have missed some games because of work which turned out to be the better games.

It's just passing for the sake of passing with little to no intention of creating a chance or scoring. I wish I recorded the Czech Republic vs Croatia game today because it would come in handy the next time I'm struggling to fall asleep.

I don't know what rules can be changed but if this is where football is going I can imagine a lot of people will be tuning out.
All 3 games today were shit.
they changed the rule in 1992 because the sport had become dull.
Maybe a time in your own half rule could be introduced

I swear those Barcelona and Spain teams broke the sport- the obsession with possession stats stems from that. We would have created far more chances tonight playing 4-4-2 with Calvert-Lewin and Kane up-front and playing more direct (not long ball) but that's not allowed now for some reason.
One of our best chances came from a hoof from Pickford. He’ll be in the running for most assists for England by the end of our run.

Better off incentivising goalscoring than f***ing around with ridiculous new rules. Bonus point for three or more goals in a game for example.
If no goals are scored in the first half, there should be 2 footballs in play from the start of the second half.

each teams fans should nominate a sniper in the stands and they are allowed 2 shots in each half. They are allowed to shoot the ball if it’s going in to their net to help their keeper. If the sniper accidentally shoot a player, VAR checks what was in her sights when she fired. If aiming at player, summoned to appear in Crown Court a week on Tuesday next. If the ball was in the sights at time of firing, sniper is sin binned and loses the next shot.

when goalkeepers drop kick the ball, if an opposing player catches it, the goalkeeper is out.

and finally there will be no taking the knee at football matches ever again, but football fans, although not actively encouraged to boo (like they are encouraged 24/7 to bet all their weekly earning away just so these greed football men in black can earn obscene sum of money from the gambling fans misery), will once again not be vilified for booing at a football match if they wish

If no goals are scored in the first half, there should be 2 footballs in play from the start of the second half.

each teams fans should nominate a sniper in the stands and they are allowed 2 shots in each half. They are allowed to shoot the ball if it’s going in to their net to help their keeper. If the sniper accidentally shoot a player, VAR checks what was in her sights when she fired. If aiming at player, summoned to appear in Crown Court a week on Tuesday next. If the ball was in the sights at time of firing, sniper is sin binned and loses the next shot.

when goalkeepers drop kick the ball, if an opposing player catches it, the goalkeeper is out.

and finally there will be no taking the knee at football matches ever again, but football fans, although not actively encouraged to boo (like they are encouraged 24/7 to bet all their weekly earning away just so these greed football men in black can earn obscene sum of money from the gambling fans misery), will once again not be vilified for booing at a football match if they wish

I've said it before. We could learn a lot from cartoons.

Randomly dug pits covered with twigs and stuff would be a start. Imagine a player storming in on goal, only to disappear from view with a comedy sound effect?

Quicksand is equally underrated. Falling boulders, exploding birdseed, allowing goalkeepers to use giant catapults, throw inside taken using seesaws and 10 ton weights.

All would improve the entertainment value of watching England.

:) what were you drinking

Changing the size of goals is pointless in my opinion.

0-0 doesn't always mean a bad game. I wouldn't be too pissed off if both keepers had made loads of world class saves, the woodwork had been hit half a dozen times. That's football. No one comes out of a thriller of a match saying "we should make the goals bigger and that would have been even better".

The issue for me is that far too many games are played at an infuriatingly slow pace, with players terrified to make tackles and other players going down at the slightest touch.

If we allow the game to be a little harder, you'll see players under pressure making quick decisions, making mistakes and with that comes excitement. Pretty much like Northern League football can be.

Too often last night there was a situation where the midfield had the ball, and the opposition didn't want to commit to a tackle (and risk a free kick) and the attacker didn't want to try anything too adventurous. So you get sideways and backwards passing.

Last edited:
Usually takes a few games for a big tournament to get into full swing. This format hasn’t helped, teams putting safety first just like we did last night. Also the lack of big crowds means no pressure on a side to pick the pace up. Expect the third round of games to pick it up then I’m sure the knock outs will be entertaining.

Back