Pandering to keep ball merchants

L1lyBrown

Striker
has to stop or it will kill the game as a spectacle.
Goal kicks that are now played inside the area is a classic example.
Free kicks halfway inside the opposition half and half a dozen passes later back with your keeper, complete joke.
Make it easier to score goals with slighter larger goals, about 6" higher and 2 ft wider. Goalkeepers are much taller than when the game was invented.
No back passes in your own half and none after you have had , say 8 passes.
Offside only 30 yards from the goal.
Watching puerile football that ends 0-0 after 90 minutes should not happen. it's supposed to be entertainment.

There is nowt stopping teams playing long balls and fighting for the second phase ball. I don't mind that up to a point. More exciting than keeping possession. After the 80th two metre pass I get a bit bored.

I swear those Barcelona and Spain teams broke the sport- the obsession with possession stats stems from that. We would have created far more chances tonight playing 4-4-2 with Calvert-Lewin and Kane up-front and playing more direct (not long ball) but that's not allowed now for some reason.

As I said on another thread, it's almost like our players are terrified of criticism. They'd rather play the simple pass (which is usually backwards or sideways) and get their statistics up, than do something creative or ambitious that might not come off and draw criticism.

If they all do it, no one stands out, and eventually we might get lucky and get an open shot which ends up in the stands

It's killing the entertainment value. Had tonight's game not been against the jocks I'd have stopped watching

Nothing new, ever since the Barcelona\spain success theres an unhealthy obsession with possession,fine of you have the quality and the results to back it up.otherwise dull and pointless

As I said on another thread, it's almost like our players are terrified of criticism. They'd rather play the simple pass (which is usually backwards or sideways) and get their statistics up, than do something creative or ambitious that might not come off and draw criticism.

If they all do it, no one stands out, and eventually we might get lucky and get an open shot which ends up in the stands

It's killing the entertainment value. Had tonight's game not been against the jocks I'd have stopped watching
If you can stop it being a free kick every time someone falls over then this possession football will soon be a thing of the past.

This tournament has been the most boring tournament that I have seen. Although admittedly I have missed some games because of work which turned out to be the better games.

It's just passing for the sake of passing with little to no intention of creating a chance or scoring. I wish I recorded the Czech Republic vs Croatia game today because it would come in handy the next time I'm struggling to fall asleep.

I don't know what rules can be changed but if this is where football is going I can imagine a lot of people will be tuning out.

This tournament has been the most boring tournament that I have seen. Although admittedly I have missed some games because of work which turned out to be the better games.

It's just passing for the sake of passing with little to no intention of creating a chance or scoring. I wish I recorded the Czech Republic vs Croatia game today because it would come in handy the next time I'm struggling to fall asleep.

I don't know what rules can be changed but if this is where football is going I can imagine a lot of people will be tuning out.
For this tournament with most 3rd place teams qualifying, more matches seem to be must not lose rather than must win. Turkey, Denmark and North Macedonia all on 0 point after two game can still qualify.

Don't even need a rule change. I suggest the fans put their opinions on anthems and kneeling aside and unite in the cause of booing pointless passes and backpasses

Last edited:
So nothing to do with the size of the goals then?

Mind you the OP doesn't even seem to know what the score was.
Goal size isn't a problem for me. But a lot of teams can get numbers back quick enough that it' hard to break through unless you have top quality players in form, and perhaps a bit of luck. But most are quick, quality counter attacks. Belgium overcame the Danes that way.

For this tournament with most 3rd place teams qualifying, more matches seem to be must not lose rather than must win. Turkey, Denmark and North Macedonia all on 0 point after two game can still qualify.
That’s a good point. I imagine another problem is increasing the tournament to 26 teams so a lot more of the mediocre nations qualify.

I'm hoping that the knockout stages will improve the level of play when the better teams play the better teams. The same way that it does in the Champions League.

has to stop or it will kill the game as a spectacle.
Goal kicks that are now played inside the area is a classic example.
Free kicks halfway inside the opposition half and half a dozen passes later back with your keeper, complete joke.
Make it easier to score goals with slighter larger goals, about 6" higher and 2 ft wider. Goalkeepers are much taller than when the game was invented.
No back passes in your own half and none after you have had , say 8 passes.
Offside only 30 yards from the goal.
Watching puerile football that ends 0-0 after 90 minutes should not happen. it's supposed to be entertainment.
Better off incentivising goalscoring than f***ing around with ridiculous new rules. Bonus point for three or more goals in a game for example.

Back