Panackelty

Its been done before (and yes I have used the search function) but I need a proper, like mum used to make, Panackelty dish for New years day, a
This Looks similar to what my mam used to make. It was always topper but she doesn’t use recipes and just says i just chuck in what’s left in the cupboard so it’s pointless asking her.

I’m going to try this as I’ve never had it for years

This Looks similar to what my mam used to make. It was always topper but she doesn’t use recipes and just says i just chuck in what’s left in the cupboard so it’s pointless asking her.

I’m going to try this as I’ve never had it for years

thats the asolute basic panak recipe that my grandma used to make, aten with bread and butter or yorkshire puddings

my mam changed it a bit to make it go further, by adding sliced carrots and swede, abd also cut up streaky bacon.

i'm having it New Years Day as well.

thats the asolute basic panak recipe that my grandma used to make, aten with bread and butter or yorkshire puddings

my mam changed it a bit to make it go further, by adding sliced carrots and swede, abd also cut up streaky bacon.

Swede? Are you a Southerner or actually suggesting using white turnip?

Swede? Are you a Southerner or actually suggesting using white turnip?

turnips are white, swedes are orange. however in the North East we call Swedes as Tunips. I used the term Swedes for accuracy and so anybody using my recipe wouldnt use white small turnips.

Southerner? No. Born and raised in Sunnybrow/Willington.

Could have confused you more by referring to Snaggers.

A walk down the veg aisle in sainsburys will show you big purple ones labeled 'swede' and little white ones 'turnips'.

turnips are white, swedes are orange. however in the North East we call Swedes as Tunips. I used the term Swedes for accuracy and so anybody using my recipe wouldnt use white small turnips.

A walk down the veg aisle in sainsburys will show you big purple ones labeled 'swede' and little white ones 'turnips'.
Doesn't mean that the way North Easterners and Scots use the terms is wrong and the way Southerners and Sainsburys use them is right.

We're right, they're wrong, obviously.

You are 100% correct.
Swede and turnip are different.
I grow both along my allotment.
But ignorance is bliss so they say.
I always use the correct terminology by the way.
Narkies.

That's exactly the way my mother made it with the streaky bacon, I could eat it everyday.. Lush.
My mam used to make it with crusty dumplings and slices of chattie.
That sounds tremendous.

Last edited:

Back