Pallion Shipyard redev

Zimba

Central Defender
Keel Square and Maritime Heritage down the East End, albeit small tributes.

Aye knew about them, didn't put that right I meant nationally rather than a tribute to Sunderland. Don't believe there's a museum anywhere in England for shipbuilding even known it's one of the our biggest industries ignoring the museums for specific boats. Loads of coal though Woodhorn and Beamish just to name 2 locally for example.

Not sure what demand there would be but I'd be interested to see what the living conditions on board were like and how stuff was built etc tbh.

Last edited:

Kevj

Striker
I noticed the Harland & Wolff reference - though people seem to clearly overlook the fact that the landowners did not wish to sell the site.

I suspect there may also be an issue with who would funds the ongoing dredging of the river? Is it fair to expect the tax payer to continue to fund this cost or should it be the business particularly as the dredging is likely to only service a single company?

moreover hasn’t the council confirmed they don’t own the site? If so not sure how they or even the owners will make any money out of the site for housing as presumably the abnormal costs will be significant.
I see they are also planning on creating a go fund me page to produce another leaflet to distribute (not sure what happened to the other ones by NEMO or whatever they were called) and a March on 17th November.

I’ve seen the post from the CEO of H&W and it wasn’t very flattering toward the council’s backing of their interest in the yard. That said, I don’t know if they engaged with the council with a detailed plan or otherwise.

In relation to dredging, it’s impossible to state what the costs would be. I’m sure the river won’t have had a soundings survey undertaken that far upstream, so the volume of slit to be dredged isn’t known and therefore no costs can be ascertained.

Osklen

Midfield
Ah god is this shit surfacing again?

Is it that Rupert Keysar? I thought he said it was over?
A new bloke and group has been formed, though sounds very similar to the last group.
I’ve seen the post from the CEO of H&W and it wasn’t very flattering toward the council’s backing of their interest in the yard. That said, I don’t know if they engaged with the council with a detailed plan or otherwise.

In relation to dredging, it’s impossible to state what the costs would be. I’m sure the river won’t have had a soundings survey undertaken that far upstream, so the volume of slit to be dredged isn’t known and therefore no costs can be ascertained.

I totally agree. I’d be interested to know on what basis H&W approached the council? Was it to dredge the river? To maintain the dredge in perpetuity? To give them grant to renovate the facility?
Then the companies wishing to set up won't mind paying them.

I agree, although the initial dredge cost may have needed funding. I’d imagine council would have needed to get central government funding for it regardless.

Last edited:

EDGE

Striker
Aye knew about them, didn't put that right I meant nationally rather than a tribute to Sunderland. Don't believe there's a museum anywhere in England for shipbuilding even known it's one of the our biggest industries ignoring the museums for specific boats. Loads of coal though Woodhorn and Beamish just to name 2 locally for example.

Not sure what demand there would be but I'd be interested to see what the living conditions on board were like and how stuff was built etc tbh.
The museum in town has a small section devoted to shipbuilding, 2nd floor IIRC.

Still love looking at the detailed models. They are fantastic.

There is also the Titanic museum in Belfast. Never been myself.

Cheesy Feet

Striker
@Osklen..I’ve just spoke to my mate in Germany..it’s not him who’s interested but he’s in contact with investors in the offshore sector who are still looking at it.

Concordsafc

Central Defender
The museum in town has a small section devoted to shipbuilding, 2nd floor IIRC.

Still love looking at the detailed models. They are fantastic.

There is also the Titanic museum in Belfast. Never been myself.
I advise you have a trip over mate have a few days over cheap enough and will be well worth it. My nanna still
Lives over so get over a fair few times and a place I always seem to end up in

Bob Fleming

Striker
There is no way Sunderland council should put a penny in to this without and extremely strong business case. How strong was the H&W interest in the Pallion yard - for all we know it's just a phone call "is there still a yard at Pallion?" - "Aye like". They're hardly the name they once were either. They only had about 100 employees when they were saved from administration a year or two ago.

Have surveys been done? Has there been a report produced by anyone demonstrating the viability of the yard for the types of projects they are proposing? Where the business is going to come from and how it will grow. What the long term projections are? What skills are needed and where are they going to come from? What other funding are they going to secure for this? If it's a strong business case with the right people backing it then they would also be able to get private funding?

And should central government not be funding this rather than the local tax payer (forget about the council - the payer is the lad and lass in the street who pay their council tax).

bobster999

Midfield
Now it makes sense why he didn't get an office in Sunderland and claimed it was because it's the north east that benefits (the most recent party being The North East Party). He lives in newcastle so wouldn't have qualified for a discount of starting a business in Sunderland. He's also bounced around various parties but has never been elected, the only one he hasn't tried is Labour.

He also gave up his election bid a few years ago to appear in Come Dine with Me 😄

Osklen

Midfield
Now it makes sense why he didn't get an office in Sunderland and claimed it was because it's the north east that benefits (the most recent party being The North East Party). He lives in newcastle so wouldn't have qualified for a discount of starting a business in Sunderland. He's also bounced around various parties but has never been elected, the only one he hasn't tried is Labour.

He also gave up his election bid a few years ago to appear in Come Dine with Me 😄

I see that the Keyzar has returned as leader of the group! Be interesting to see how things unfold.

Martin F

Striker
Anyone link the post from today?
"We have just learned via members of The North East Party of some important - but potentially concerning - news. A collection of around eight development companies were seen being shown around the Pallion shipyard site a week or two ago, reportedly by the premier estate agent and investment management company of Savills. However, this cannot yet be confirmed.

As soon as we have more information, we shall update you. However - and as we have no reason to believe this did not happen - we would like to ask Sunderland, City Council if they were aware of this site visit?

To members of this page, we kindly ask you to please enquire with your local councillors to see if they were aware of this, particularly those in the Pallion and surrounding wards."