Pallion Shipyard redev

bobster999

Midfield
so not only are they acting like it's theirs even though they haven't bought it, it's still in use and the firm there uses it to create buckets and attachments for quarrying. two of which were made and sent to the USA only last year 😄

The Ram

Full Back
The latest from Facebook:

Sunderland Council stops Harland & Wolff from reopening Pallion

Statement from the CEO of Harland & Wolff reference their clear interest in the mothballed Pallion Shipyard - the issue is the deliberate refusal of Sunderland City Council to dredge the river stopped them from pursuing their interest in the Yard.

We are aware of a further 4 substantive bids by other companies to use/buy the yard - Sunderland Council were a major obstacle to put it mildly.

The hidden agenda the CEO refers to is the £M's the Council will make by building houses on the site

Newcastle has just bid £17M to set up a facility to dredge the Tyne creating thousands of jobs

Osklen

Midfield

Statement from the CEO of Harland & Wolff reference their clear interest in the mothballed Pallion Shipyard - the issue is the deliberate refusal of Sunderland City Council to dredge the river stopped them from pursuing their interest in the Yard.

We are aware of a further 4 substantive bids by other companies to use/buy the yard - Sunderland Council were a major obstacle to put it mildly.

The hidden agenda the CEO refers to is the £M's the Council will make by building houses on the site

Newcastle has just bid £17M to set up a facility to dredge the Tyne creating thousands of jobs

I noticed the Harland & Wolff reference - though people seem to clearly overlook the fact that the landowners did not wish to sell the site.

I suspect there may also be an issue with who would funds the ongoing dredging of the river? Is it fair to expect the tax payer to continue to fund this cost or should it be the business particularly as the dredging is likely to only service a single company?

moreover hasn’t the council confirmed they don’t own the site? If so not sure how they or even the owners will make any money out of the site for housing as presumably the abnormal costs will be significant.
I see they are also planning on creating a go fund me page to produce another leaflet to distribute (not sure what happened to the other ones by NEMO or whatever they were called) and a March on 17th November.

Last edited:

Cheesy Feet

Striker
As i posted earlier..when my mate tried to bring the wind turbine business he’s MD for to Pallion..the rents the owners wanted was astronomical and the council didn’t want to know..the owners can’t lose like..it’ll end up as housing eventually like..IMO.

bobster999

Midfield
the owner of that page keeps saying the council are knocking it down to make a museum. the council don't own it, there's no evidence anywhere of plans for a maritime museum there and businesses are still there.

he also said it can be taken over by a compulsory purchase order. what, to a group with no business plan and no workforce? good luck with that 😄

Osklen

Midfield
As i posted earlier..when my mate tried to bring the wind turbine business he’s MD for to Pallion..the rents the owners wanted was astronomical and the council didn’t want to know..the owners can’t lose like..it’ll end up as housing eventually like..IMO.

did he say how much the cost to dredge the river would be annually? I genuinely don’t have a clue if it’s peanuts or a huge sum of money annually. Presume the business couldn’t meet the cost?

what parts of wind turbines out of interest?

The Ram

Full Back
the owner of that page keeps saying the council are knocking it down to make a museum. the council don't own it, there's no evidence anywhere of plans for a maritime museum there and businesses are still there.

he also said it can be taken over by a compulsory purchase order. what, to a group with no business plan and no workforce? good luck with that 😄

That's the crux of it mate. It goes round in circles really

They ask the council to spend millions to dredge the river, the council asks for a business case to determine whether there is realistic opportunity, no business case is provided but apparently there companies queueing up to buy the yard except none of them have submitted a business case.

EDGE

Striker

He hates the "Liebour" Council. Seems he has an agenda.

Reactions: DJP

Cheesy Feet

Striker
what parts of wind turbines out of interest?
The company my mate works for manufacture the whole thing..he’s based in Germany..brought interested parties over to look at the yard about 6 years ago..said the rents were ridiculous and the yard was in a worse state than they first thought.
did he say how much the cost to dredge the river would be annually? I genuinely don’t have a clue if it’s peanuts or a huge sum of money annually. Presume the business couldn’t meet the cost?
My mate didn’t go into the dredging issue as i assume that wind turbines would be floated out on barges that wouldn’t require the dredging that a ship would..my mate and other investors are still interested like.

Last edited:

Osklen

Midfield
The company my mate works for manufacture the whole thing..he’s based in Germany..brought interested parties over to look at the yard about 6 years ago..said the rents were ridiculous and the yard was in a worse state than they first thought.

My mate didn’t go into the dredging issue as i assume that wind turbines would be floated out on barges that wouldn’t require the dredging that a ship would..my mate and other investors are still interested like.

Shame it’s not happened especially if dredging not needed. Rents must be pretty low in there now I would suspect? Do they need a large facility with decent eaves height or is it the length of the facility rather than height? For a new facility you must be looking at £6-7 a sqft.

Bakerlooline

Midfield

Fantasy

Osklen

Midfield

Their latest claim appears to state that there is a fifth enquiry, most recently this week, and that dredging costs are minimal on an annual basis. I have no idea if that’s true but if that was the case and there were various enquiries to reuse the shipyard I can’t understand why the council would be against it, other than if these various companies were looking at significant grant support?

Zimba

Central Defender
Good by Sunderland Council, get the thing removed and turned into housing or commercial. It's 2021 not the 80's. Redevelop the river as a place to live and make it actually pleasurable without massive ships going along making it pretty much useless as who wants to live next to that for one fantasy idea. Salford Quays, Albert Dock in Liverpool, Leeds Dock or Glasgow around the SECC would be a good place to look what can be done with a bit of inspiration. It's a goldmine to start a turn around of Sunderland and is one place if done right people would actually want to live and not far from the centre to bring people in the centre. Mind I think a ship themed museum would be good to respect the shipbuilding history as there isn't one anywhere unless I've missed it.

If they want to build ship related stuff build it down in the docks it's not as if it's exactly thriving as it is.

Last edited:
Their latest claim appears to state that there is a fifth enquiry, most recently this week, and that dredging costs are minimal on an annual basis. I have no idea if that’s true but if that was the case and there were various enquiries to reuse the shipyard I can’t understand why the council would be against it, other than if these various companies were looking at significant grant support?
Then the companies wishing to set up won't mind paying them.

EDGE

Striker
Good by Sunderland Council, get the thing removed and turned into housing or commercial. It's 2021 not the 80's. Redevelop the river as a place to live and make it actually pleasurable without massive ships going along making it pretty much useless as who wants to live next to that for one fantasy idea. Salford Quays, Albert Dock in Liverpool, Leeds Dock or Glasgow around the SECC would be a good place to look what can be done with a bit of inspiration. It's a goldmine to start a turn around of Sunderland and is one place if done right people would actually want to live and not far from the centre to bring people in the centre. Mind I think a ship themed museum would be good to respect the shipbuilding history as there isn't one anywhere unless I've missed it.

If they want to build ship related stuff build it down in the docks it's not as if it's exactly thriving as it is.
Keel Square and Maritime Heritage down the East End, albeit small tributes.