• We are doing some maintenance and upgrades to the server and message boards today.
    The site will be unavailable for short periods.

Pallion Shipyard redev

Kevj

Striker
Shipyard experience would be essential, however if you went into or stayed in heavy engineering these are transferable skills. After the yards shut I went to Grove/Coles cranes to finish my apprenticeship, I was there for nearly 10 years before it closed. After that, I worked in a variety of environments, chemical plants, refineries, lots of offshore fabs (never offshore though), decades of site work and even a short stint in Harland and Wolf. While I was travelling there was still Swan's, Amec and McNulty's to name a few
I agree it would be a real eye opener for a lot of young'ns to work in the environments we had to. Until getting a trade is promoted as a good way to earn a decent wage there will always be a skills shortage. It was the only option for some of us nuggets 😁😂.

There’s a few of us on here who worked at McNulty’s.

Teed

Striker
Shipyard experience would be essential, however if you went into or stayed in heavy engineering these are transferable skills. After the yards shut I went to Grove/Coles cranes to finish my apprenticeship, I was there for nearly 10 years before it closed. After that, I worked in a variety of environments, chemical plants, refineries, lots of offshore fabs (never offshore though), decades of site work and even a short stint in Harland and Wolf. While I was travelling there was still Swan's, Amec and McNulty's to name a few
I agree it would be a real eye opener for a lot of young'ns to work in the environments we had to. Until getting a trade is promoted as a good way to earn a decent wage there will always be a skills shortage. It was the only option for some of us nuggets 😁😂.
At one time, it was either the yards, the pits, or the buildings, nuggets? nar, they were primed ready for that work from starting school, like Billy Connelly said, the school gates opened and every one rushed out then in through the shipyard gates, those were the choices, If you didn't like it there were two other options, move away or go on the dole, not the type of decision you'd want to make at 15.

molthemackem

Striker
Got a few years left in yer 😉
Oh aye.....i'm not that old really. Still 19 upstairs but coming down them, that a different 8 stories :)
6,000 jobs by refurbishing Pallion? Or the bridge unlocking land?

if they argue it is linked to Vaux redevelopment (riverside Sunderland) and they build the so-called 1m sqft of commercal office space then it should deliver circa 6,000 jobs.

suspect the land either side of the bridge will be housing.
We must have heard figures between 6-8k new jobs with various developments over the years. I'm still wiating to see where they are. The experts keep pulling figures out of thin air like Paul Daniels...Puff and there they were, gone.

Last edited:

Osklen

Midfield
Oh aye.....i'm not that old really. Still 19 upstairs but coming down them, that a different 8 stories :)

We must have heard figures between 6-8k new jobs with various developments over the years. I'm still wiating to see where they are. The experts keep pulling figures out of thin air like Paul Daniels...Puff and there they were, gone.

yeah it’s just the game they play to get funding. What they say is that there is x amount of development land and if developed out as per masterplan could create x m2 / ft2 of floor space, which equates to y jobs (ie 1 person per 10m2). Actually getting the business is a different matter.

molthemackem

Striker
yeah it’s just the game they play to get funding. What they say is that there is x amount of development land and if developed out as per masterplan could create x m2 / ft2 of floor space, which equates to y jobs (ie 1 person per 10m2). Actually getting the business is a different matter.
One of the finance solicitors I used to use , seems like years ago now, told my some facts about jobs in the area and how the figures actually broke down to affect the other business and their staff and then the shops these staff used and so on and so on.. creating a domino effect across the region... Every job created in the region has a value (at the time 2010) of £180,000 per individual. He explained that the staff member you employ, once they have been paid creates other jobs in the region by say, going to a bank to pay money and using the staff employed there (job created). Then onto doing the shopping at Tesco's which brings in shop staff, drivers for deliveries managers to over see the shop (all jobs indirectly created) , local government etc which creates the domino effect. Now £180,000 per head seems a little light to me but he showed me all the figures from National and local government to back it up and this chap, totally unassuming, was/is one of the most gifted I've came across in my life and is well renowned in the NE and farther afield.

Osklen

Midfield
One of the finance solicitors I used to use , seems like years ago now, told my some facts about jobs in the area and how the figures actually broke down to affect the other business and their staff and then the shops these staff used and so on and so on.. creating a domino effect across the region... Every job created in the region has a value (at the time 2010) of £180,000 per individual. He explained that the staff member you employ, once they have been paid creates other jobs in the region by say, going to a bank to pay money and using the staff employed there (job created). Then onto doing the shopping at Tesco's which brings in shop staff, drivers for deliveries managers to over see the shop (all jobs indirectly created) , local government etc which creates the domino effect. Now £180,000 per head seems a little light to me but he showed me all the figures from National and local government to back it up and this chap, totally unassuming, was/is one of the most gifted I've came across in my life and is well renowned in the NE and farther afield.

Yeah that’s how they do it and why the number of jobs created is so important in these funding bids, regardless of how many will be created in reality. There is also the jobs created or funded through the build process which gets calculated.

At one time, it was either the yards, the pits, or the buildings, nuggets? nar, they were primed ready for that work from starting school, like Billy Connelly said, the school gates opened and every one rushed out then in through the shipyard gates, those were the choices, If you didn't like it there were two other options, move away or go on the dole, not the type of decision you'd want to make at 15.
If skilled labour is a problem, they could always bring the Poles in :rolleyes: . I know the Noggie yards had a lot of East Europeans on the books back in the 90's.

Osklen

Midfield
:lol:
All fart and nee shite. Just a bunch of clueless gobshites playing the nostalgia card for political reasons. Might as well demand the return of white dog shit.

On one thread they are saying the council don’t own it and then another saying stop the council from demolishing it! Another person saying the bridge will stop ships getting to and from the Pallion site - I am sure the group administration has stated many times that the bridge will be the same height as the other bridges!

a few people try and assist them but they appear to get kicked off quite quickly.

beverly macca

Central Defender
We could have had John Deere both sides of the river all the way up to south hylton years ago when the yards shut. But the council knocked it back.

Martin F

Striker
Stopped building ships there 32 years ago..i was there when it closed..i mean it was state of the art then...mainly due to the whole thing being undercover and the dry dock which was flooded in order to get the ships out.
That tends to be how dry docks work.