Pallion Shipyard redev

Osklen

Midfield
Further to my previous comments, it could be tied in with apprenticeship schemes so young people have practical experience in this type of environment which part funds this facility alongside museum entrance fees and lottery or other funding. It would keep in going and not lost.

However, excellent idea about Fulwell73. It would be a fantastic building for this purpose.
I had the pleasure of viewing a derelict power station in Paris before it was converted for similar purposes by Luc Besson.

This completely changed the building and surrounding area.

would support city centre redevelopment, hotels, film supply chain and some of the shipping heritage might be useful to support films? They could possibly use the river for filming or even the dry dock?

suspect the cost of redevelopment would be significant however to sound proof, re-clad, remove any asbestos (?) and just clean.

by the way what a project the one in Paris must have been, it looks amazing.

Last edited:

Kevsgreat

Striker
Further to my previous comments, it could be tied in with apprenticeship schemes so young people have practical experience in this type of environment which part funds this facility alongside museum entrance fees and lottery or other funding. It would keep in going and not lost.

However, excellent idea about Fulwell73. It would be a fantastic building for this purpose.
I had the pleasure of viewing a derelict power station in Paris before it was converted for similar purposes by Luc Besson.

This completely changed the building and surrounding area.
Funny enough there's a company in town taken on a building in Sunniside they're turning into a studio. Albeit on a much smaller scale, still have their work cut out.

Teed

Striker
Regardless of funding, ownership, dredging or whatever else they come up with. There's going to be a second footbridge built at panns banks just above the river that ships couldn't get underneath.
I'm really unsure why no one has even mentioned that 🤷‍♂️
I think people are also forgetting the skill shortage, the last men to leave the yards will all over 60 now.

I think people are also forgetting the skill shortage, the last men to leave the yards will all over 60 now.
Still plenty of time served welders, platers & riggers etc about Teed.
A lot younger than 60.
I thought it might be but presumably it unlocks a number development sites or supports a number of existing businesses.

To do the same in Sunderland would only really ever support the Pallion dock unless they continued further up river to the northern spire (old Groves Crane site) which is cleared, has potential dock access and could support some offshore / port function. I don’t think there are many other areas that could be unlocked from the port to northern spire? Meaning it’s a significant investment for only a small proportion of job creation.
6,000 jobs marra. ;)
That was always the "pie in the sky" figure that was bandied about when the new bridge land was getting developed.

Last edited:

Osklen

Midfield
A lot younger than 60.

6,000 jobs marra. ;)
That was always the "pie in the sky" figure that was bandied about when the new bridge land was getting developed.

6,000 jobs by refurbishing Pallion? Or the bridge unlocking land?

if they argue it is linked to Vaux redevelopment (riverside Sunderland) and they build the so-called 1m sqft of commercal office space then it should deliver circa 6,000 jobs.

suspect the land either side of the bridge will be housing.

bobster999

Midfield

That's what I mentioned before on the echo and it pissed a lot of people off 😄. There's a whole new skill to teach to apprentices as well as renting places to use as a class to teach them.

I'm sure a lot of 60 yr olds think they're just going to walk back into a job they did 30 years ago

6,000 jobs by refurbishing Pallion? Or the bridge unlocking land?

if they argue it is linked to Vaux redevelopment (riverside Sunderland) and they build the so-called 1m sqft of commercal office space then it should deliver circa 6,000 jobs.

suspect the land either side of the bridge will be housing.
Nope, it was always mentioned in the local press about the 6,000 jobs.
I even questioned this figure at the time.
Was never going to happen.

Osklen

Midfield
Correct, but at the time housing wasn't mentioned though.

couldn’t comment, as would form part of a economic analysis as part of an original bid. They tend to just be lip service in order to get funding as funding always given on the number of jobs created.

There you go.
Old Stabber there - the 6000 jobs is mentioned once again.

Osklen

Midfield

There you go.
Old Stabber there - the 6000 jobs is mentioned once again.
Interestingly resi was proposed for the groves crane site as early as 2011. The article relates to the south bank of the river therefore I suspect they’d argue Vaux forms part of that, but difficult to know without seeing the detail.

ARs biscuit

Midfield
A lot younger than 60.

6,000 jobs marra. ;)
I was there at the end of the yards, still an apprentice with 6 months to do I'm 52 now. There were two years below my year and obviously there will still be a couple of years above my year that will be under 60.
I still see the occasional lad knocking about who is in good nick but double bottom fit is another matter. However what we do have is 30+ years experience since leaving the yards, in my instance training and testing welders before moving full time into inspection.
About 8-10 years ago I visited Pallion to audit a company who were doing work for us. It was sole destroying to see how bad a state it was in. Liebherr were in at the time and I had mates working at GT engineering, both I think aren't in there any more.
There has been no maintenance what I could see since it shut. The place was about a foot deep in bird shit.
I was there when the yards closed in 1989..aged 24..so the youngest to come out of our yards would be 49 or 50..i mean a jobs a job but no one in their right mind at that age would want to be going back to doing that type of work.
Just beat me to it, I'm slow typing on my phone.

Last edited:
I was there at the end of the yards, still an apprentice with 6 months to do I'm 52 now. There were two years below my year and obviously there will still be a couple of years above my year that will be under 60.
I still see the occasional lad knocking about who is in good nick but double bottom fit is another matter. However what we do have is 30+ years experience since leaving the yards, in my instance training and testing welders before moving full time into inspection.
About 8-10 years ago I visited Pallion to audit a company who were doing work for us. It was sole destroying to see how bad a state it was in. Liebherr were in at the time and I had mates working at GT engineering, both I think aren't in there any more.
There has been no maintenance what I could see since it shut. The place was about a foot deep in bird shit.

Aye, it's a shame.:cry:

Teed

Striker
A lot younger than 60.
If they were fully time served, and just came out of their time, they would be 50+ and unless they've worked abroad in a shipyard, then they'll have very little yard experience, hard game to just hop back into and has you know doubt know. Most of the knowledge in any trade, is the knowledge that's passed on by the tradesmen to the next generation, college can't teach people that, can't see it as a viable scheme, besides, how ya gonna get today's fairies to work in the bitter cold, lying on a freezing steel plate welding, mind, I'd love to see that.. :lol:

Cheesy Feet

Striker

If you’re 52 you’ll know a few of the same lads as me..they got sent to Coles to finish their apprenticeships..GT closed a while back and moved down to Sheffield (i think)..i know quite a few of those lads..it was the double bottom work i was getting at in my post..to have to go back to dragging a yale through a double bottom then banging your head on the manhole cover..no extraction..nee chance..I’ve posted over and over on here about the state of disrepair the yard is in..shocking.
If they were fully time served, and just came out of their time, they would be 50+ and unless they've worked abroad in a shipyard, then they'll have very little yard experience, hard game to just hop back into and has you know doubt know. Most of the knowledge in any trade, is the knowledge that's passed on by the tradesmen to the next generation, college can't teach people that, can't see it as a viable scheme, besides, how ya gonna get today's fairies to work in the bitter cold, lying on a freezing steel plate welding, mind, I'd love to see that.. :lol:
Plus they wouldn’t get a phone signal in the double bottoms.

Last edited:

ARs biscuit

Midfield
Shipyard experience would be essential, however if you went into or stayed in heavy engineering these are transferable skills. After the yards shut I went to Grove/Coles cranes to finish my apprenticeship, I was there for nearly 10 years before it closed. After that, I worked in a variety of environments, chemical plants, refineries, lots of offshore fabs (never offshore though), decades of site work and even a short stint in Harland and Wolf. While I was travelling there was still Swan's, Amec and McNulty's to name a few
I agree it would be a real eye opener for a lot of young'ns to work in the environments we had to. Until getting a trade is promoted as a good way to earn a decent wage there will always be a skills shortage. It was the only option for some of us nuggets 😁😂.